The SADC TFCA Financing Facility is pleased to announce its first call for submission of Concepts focussing on Transfrontier Conservation Areas (TFCAs) in the SADC Region.
Transfrontier Conservation Areas in the SADC region are home to a number of globally significant species and habitats, with potential to contribute towards economic development not only to national economies of participating countries, but also to the livelihoods of local communities living in TFCAs who are often faced with challenges related to human-wildlife co-existence.
TFCAs aim to enhance collaboration among SADC Member States in conservation of biodiversity through adoption of common management approaches. The TFCA FF aims to contribute towards achievement of the objectives of the SADC TFCA Programme developed in 2013 through calls for concepts.
The facility aims to invest in tangible measures that strengthen ecological, economic, cultural and institutional connectivity within SADC TFCAs. The SADC TFCA FF will address the critical needs for conservation by integrating the three dimensions of “species”, “habitat” and “people”, and aligning with the overall socio-economic development and regional integration goals of SADC TFCAs. Applications should therefore address one of the main expected outcomes of the SADC TFCA FF described as follows:
- Improved habitat connectivity, for selected key migratory species (“species” dimension);
- Improved management effectiveness of TFCAs and PAs (“habitat” dimension); and
- Improved livelihoods for communities affected by human-wildlife co-habitation (“people” dimension)
This call aims to support three thematic areas in TFCAs:
- Species dimension: Improved habitat connectivity, especially for elephants and large carnivores as flagship species;
- Habitat dimension: Improved management effectiveness of TFCAs and Protected Areas (PAs);
- People dimension: Improved livelihoods for communities affected by human-wildlife co-habitation
- The size of grants shall range between €300,000 (Three hundred thousand Euros) and no more than the € 3,000,000 (Three million Euros) with co-financing required. The following grant windows will be considered:
- Small Grants – up to € 300,000
- Medium Grants – up to € 1.5 Million
- Large Grants – up to €3 million
- In addition to the above grant windows project preparation grants of up to €50 000 will be made available to successful concepts to assist with development of full project proposals where necessary. TFCA FF grants are expected to be implemented within a period of up to 3 years.
- Grants will be open for applications by governmental organisations, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and Community Based Organisations (CBOs) with expertise in relevant sectors (e.g. conservation, rural development, agriculture, livestock and veterinary services, tourism etc.). Partnerships between governments, NGOs and CBOs will be actively encouraged. Partner countries collaborating on a particular TFCA can submit transboundary proposals (one proposal covers all Partner States and activities), or individual proposals (each Partner State submits their own proposal for activities they are responsible for within that TFCA). Only projects aligned to the TFCA FF objectives, criteria and specifications will be eligible for funding. All project proposals must present a clear theory of change and a logical framework linked to a detailed budget.
- To be eligible, activities must:
- Address one or more of the dimensions outlined above (Species, Habitat, and People);
- Have government endorsement (by the respective Partner State(s));
- Be consistent and align with local and national government environmental and socioeconomic policies as well as relevant SADC policies and strategies;
- Comply with the Relevant Environmental and Social Safeguard Standards
- Be cost-efficient and sustainable;
- Support the implementation of existing plans as much as possible and thereby contribute to the overall attainment of strategic goals for TFCAs; and
- Support towards development of such plans, where they are lacking, for TFCAs at conceptual stage, will also be considered as this enhances their progression to becoming fully established TFCAs
- Consideration will be given to concept notes for projects which meet the following criteria:
- To be implemented in TFCAs in the SADC region;
- Require a contribution of €300 000 – €3 000 000 from the Facility in the form of small, medium and large size grants;
- Can be completed within a maximum period of 3 years.
For more information, visit https://www.iucn.org/regions/eastern-and-southern-africa/our-work/conservation-areas-and-species/sadc-transfrontier-conservation-areas-financing-facility-sadc-tfca-ff/sadc-tfca-financing-facility-open-call-concepts