Deadline: 6 July 2016
The International Women Media Foundation (IWMF) is currently inviting women journalists from around the world for its Howard G. Buffett Fund, supporting projects including educational opportunities, investigative reporting and media development initiatives.
The Fund’s objectives are to:
- Advance women in the news media worldwide by funding innovative projects and unique opportunities
- To help journalists build skills critical to their development as professionals
- Encourage journalists working in hostile environments to obtain necessary security training
- Support projects from a diverse pool of applicants
- Offer flexibility in funding amounts and projects
- Urge applicants to pitch ambitious ideas
- Inspire original collaborative projects
- Provide opportunities for journalists with limited access to other funding sources
The fund is designed to help women journalists from around the world by providing grantees support to:
- Expose under-reported but critical global issues
- Undertake ambitious projects that challenge traditional media narratives
- Develop field-based expertise and strengthen careers
- Pursue critical skills training and leadership opportunities
- Launch entrepreneurial news projects or acquire the skill to do so
The IWMF will make an annual total of $230,000 worth of grants to support women journalists in their projects and endeavors.
- Women journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
- Journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three or more years of professional journalism experience.
- Teams of journalists may apply, however the submission must be from a woman journalist and her team must include at least 50% women.
- Special consideration will be given to freelance journalists.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted through an online process.
Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belgium, Belize, Benin, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei Darussalam, Bulgaria, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, the Republic of China, Colombia, Comoros, Congo, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Côte d’Ivoire, Croatia , Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Fiji, Finland, France, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Latvia, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Republic of Macedonia, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Federated States of Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, Niue, Norway, Oman, Pakistan, Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russian Federation, Rwanda, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, São Tomé and Príncipe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland, Syrian Arab Republic, Tajikistan, United Republic of Tanzania, Thailand , Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, United States of America, Guam, American Samoa, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Yugoslavia, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit Howard G. Buffett Fund.