Deadline: 1 December 2016
The International Women’s Media Foundation (IWMF) is currently inviting applications for its Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories with an aim to empower women journalists to access untold stories through new means of funding that emphasizes gender balanced reporting.
These grants provide opportunities for women journalists to pursue international stories of importance through gender-sensitive coverage of underreported topics.
The IWMF’s Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories, sponsored by The Secular Society, is a new funding initiative supporting journalism produced by and about women. The IWMF recognizes that promoting the work and advancing the role of women in the news media is critical to transparency and that women journalists remain underrepresented in both media organizations and bylines across the world.
The Secular Society’s support for gender equity through independent reporting grants highlights the need to provide women journalists with more robust funding opportunities to pursue journalism in the public interest. The Secular Society believes that all governmental activities and those of religious organizations should be separate; they also hold that all religious beliefs are equally valid and their expression must be treated with tolerance and respect.
- Grants average ranging up to $5,000 USD.
- Grants will be awarded to cover reporting-related costs including travel (flights, ground transportation, and drivers), logistics, visa fees, and payment for fixers/translators.
- Women journalists from anywhere in the world and who are currently working as journalists can apply for support.
- Applicants must have three or more years of professional work experience and must currently be working as a journalist with journalism as their primary profession.
- Teams of journalists may apply, however the submission must be from a woman journalist and their team must include at least 50% women.
- Staff journalists and teams of staff journalists within news organizations are eligible to apply for funding, but these grants will give special consideration to freelance journalists.
How to Apply
All applications must be filled out online via the IWMF’s online application system.
For more information, please visit Reporting Grants for Women’s Stories.