Applications are open for the National Geographic’s Expeditions Council grant program that supports exploration of adventure worldwide.
While the Expeditions Council funds a broad range of exploration and adventure, if a project is based on scientific inquiry, applicants must provide detailed methodology. In addition, all projects must adhere to applicable scientific or professional ethical standards, which are outlined in the grant application and are subject to scientific review.
The Expeditions Council offers its grantees the opportunity to work effectively with National Geographic’s many divisions. Grantees are therefore able to share the results of their expeditions with National Geographic’s global audience.
Grants generally range from U.S. $15,000 to $35,000 and cover direct field expenses: transportation, supplies, subsistence, and permit costs as well as other related fees (e.g., interpreters, guides, and porters) that are tied to the project.
- National Geographic reserves the right to assign coverage of grant projects by its own media teams.
- The Expeditions Council requires that grant recipients give right of first refusal for coverage by all National Geographic media, including all print and digital media, television and broadcast media, lectures, exhibits, and promotion or publicity about the project.
- Grant recipients must provide a full accounting of their expenditures on completion of the project. They are also required to submit a report summarizing their findings within two months of returning from the field.
- Applicants are expected to have qualifications and experience pertinent to the expedition or project they propose.
- Advanced academic degrees may be required, depending on the nature of the project.
- Those planning work in foreign countries (i.e., a country other than their own) must include at least one local collaborator as part of their expedition team. International applicants are encouraged; however, submissions must be made in English.
How to Apply
- The application procedure consists of two phases:
- Phase1: Pre-Application
- Phase2: Application
- The team leader must first submit a pre-application form online.
- If the pre-application is approved, the Council will send the team leader an email with a link to the full application.
- After receiving an application, the team leader must complete and submit their application online.
For more information, please visit Expeditions Council Grant Program.