Deadline: 15 September 2016
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is seeking nominations for Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities with an aim to recognize the outstanding contributions of individuals and organizations in promoting the inclusion; and enhancing the lives of persons with disabilities through the application of digital solutions, resources and technologies.
In line with UNESCO’s strategic objectives and especially the Major Programme Communication and Information, this includes translating human rights and fundamental freedoms into action, with a particular emphasis on removing barriers to enable greater access to information and knowledge, as well as learning and participation in society through the effective application of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs).
- Formulating policy, advocacy, co-operation and partnerships
- Creating and developing digital solutions, enabling environments and processes, including tools and resources
- Building and strengthening the capacities of people to create, adapt and use digital solutions in a cost efficient and sustainable manner.
- The Prize will be offered biennially in 2016/2017, 2018/2019 and 2020/2021. The Prize will be awarded in each biennial edition and will be divided equally to:
- Individual Person
- An Organization
- These awards are for individuals and organizations and are not for projects or programmes.
- Successful individuals and organizations will usually have undertaken a series of relevant projects and programmes, developed appropriate tools or resources, and enhanced co-operation and partnerships that will contribute to their achievements, but it is the overall personal or organizational contribution that will be assessed.
- The total amount available for the Prize biennially is USD $ 40,000, which will be distributed equally between the individual and the organizational winner.
- UNESCO will publicize the Prize winners, and will seek to work with them to enhance and promote their continued activities in the field of the digital empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- Prize winners (Laureates) will be selected by the Director-General of UNESCO on the basis of the assessments and recommendations made by a Jury.
- Eligible applicants are individuals (applying either individually, or representing a group of people) or organizations (an institution, non-governmental organization or other public or private entity).
- Individuals and organizations applying for the Prize must have been active in the field for a minimum of five years, and have proven results from their efforts and activities.
- All applications must be submitted in the English or French languages.
- Only one application may be submitted by any one individual, or by an organization, considered to include all of its parts.
- Anyone else who submitted an application to previous editions of these prizes can submit a new application.
Not eligible recipients
- Previous recipients of the UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, or the UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize to Promote Quality Education for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities are not eligible to apply.
- Members of staff of UNESCO as well as present and previous Jurors for this Prize may not apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit their application forms electronically via given website.
For more information, please visit UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize.