Deadline: 26 April 2017
The Gabriel García Márquez Foundation for New Ibero-American Journalism (FNPI) and Oxfam join forces to establish a journalistic scholarship to cover issues of inequality in Latin America and Spain.
The program allows journalists from the Ibero-American region to have the opportunity to participate and publicize their work, as well as to encourage them to continue their interest in issues of inequality, since they are a fundamental axis of both institutions and part of a joint program since the year 2013.
- In its first edition, the winner will be selected by a text sent about coverage on issues of gender inequality. The text must have been published in a media or blog before the closing of the call for this contest.
- The winner will receive $ 5,000 to finance the research and writing of a new article on gender inequality in Latin American and / or Spanish countries. The amount does not include taxes to be paid by the beneficiary and the convening institutions, and will be delivered as follows: 50% upon failure of the result of the call (award for a text already published), 50% once the new text. The transfer will be made to a bank account in your name in the next forty-five (45) days, once the winner has been announced.
- The resulting text of this production grant will be published before December 2017 in the online version of The New York Times in Spanish. It will also be broadcast on FNPI and Oxfam websites and social networks.
- Will have the advice of the editor Eliezer Budasoff, New York Times in Spanish, during the research and writing stage of the text.
- Invitation to the fifth edition of the Gabo 2017 Festival, organized by the FNPI, which will be held from 28 to 30 September in Medellín, Colombia. In this event will participate, along with some of the jury members of the scholarship, in a conversation that will be part of the program of the event, on gender inequality and journalism. The invitation includes: accommodation, airfare in economy class, international insurance, food and local transfers according to the scheduled schedule.
Journalists from Latin America and Spain are eligible to apply.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
Eligible Countries: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Venezuela, Peru, Cuba, Ecuador, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador, Haiti, Spain.
For more information, please visit Oxfam FNPI.