Deadline: 31 July 2020
The Prince Claus Fund and the Goethe-Institut are issuing a new Call for Proposals to support cultural and artistic initiatives tackling pressing environmental issues around the world.
The Call for Proposals: Cultural and Artistic Responses to Environmental Change is the third of this cycle and builds on the 2018 & 2019 editions, through which 35 exceptional projects were supported.
This 2020 edition will be the last in this format, though the Prince Claus Fund and the Goethe-Institut remain committed to supporting people who are finding creative ways to address environmental issues and the climate crisis.
Alarming changes in nature and our environment are all around us: forests and wildlife are disappearing; air and oceans are increasingly polluted; sea levels are rising; and the frequency of extreme weather phenomena is increasing; additionally, the outbreak of a world-wide pandemic is a wake-up call. While causes and consequences of environmental change are being debated by politicians, scientists and the broader public, the most affected people are often those with least power to stop the process.
Cultural practitioners, artists, architects and designers in many parts of the world are initiating projects, exchanging ideas and rethinking responses to environmental change, while actively engaging their communities. Now, more than ever, they need the arts and culture to help us respond; to inspire and motivate them by offering new ideas that challenge the perceptions and change the habits by introducing radical and trans-disciplinary perspectives and envisioning models of climate justice in the world.
The Fund is specifically looking to support initiatives that:
- Employ new media to re-imagine a more sustainable world, and provide space for different perspectives within the sustainability discussion
- Promote the inclusion of women, indigenous communities and other marginalised groups
- Support innovative & contemporary artistic and cultural interventions that enable local impact while encouraging a global exchange on culture of sustainability and climate justice as well as challenges to democracy the climate crisis poses
- Encourage out of the box initiatives by artists and cultural practitioners looking to re-imagine conventional approaches to environmental sustainability and climate justice
- Support the development of artistic initiatives that reinforce and rethink traditional knowledge and methods as a means to promote sustainability and climate justice
With this call for proposals they invite artists and cultural practitioners to envision a better future for our planet.
The Prince Claus Fund and the Goethe-Institut will support initiatives within the financial range of €15,000 – €20,000.
- Projects with the involvement of the Goethe-Institut are eligible to apply.
- Previous grantees of the Prince Claus Fund may not apply for a new grant unless the previous project that received funding is finished and closed before the application submission deadline for this call.
- Grantees from the 2018 & 2019 cycles of the Open Call: Cultural & Artistic Responses to Environmental Change are not eligible to apply to this call.
- Support is only given to individual persons or organisations living, registered and working in countries on the DAC List of ODA Recipients.
- In the case of a collaborative project with individuals or organisations from outside the eligible countries.
For more information, visit https://princeclausfund.org/open-call-cultural-and-artistic-responses-to-environmental-change-2020