Deadline: 1 November 2019
Applicants are invited to apply for the Direct Aid Program (DAP) which is a small grants program funded from Australia’s aid budget. It has the flexibility to work with local communities in developing countries on projects that reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development consistent with Australia’s national interest.
It is designed to support community groups and organisations engaged in development activities to complement the Australian Aid program in Samoa.
For 2019-20, call for proposals will be allocated over two rounds, each with a focus area:
- Economic empowerment, including through the promotion of tourism
- Community development through youth and health
Applications will need to demonstrate a strong benefit to local communities. Priority will be given to creative and innovative applications that will spark additional development of the community. The High Commission particularly welcome proposals for projects that address or directly benefit the needs of vulnerable groups including women and girls, children, people living with disabilities and the elderly. Applicants can apply for up to SAT20,000.
Examples of Innovative Projects
Here are some examples of innovative projects supported by the Direct Aid Program across Australia’s diplomatic network:
- Installation of solar lights for 100 families in remote rural areas (Samoa)
- In partnership with a local educational institution, a sports program for the development, implementation and practice of Para Va’a – program designed to provide opportunity for people with motor limitations to practice water sports as therapy or to compete (South America)
- In partnership with multilateral organisations, implementation of a video game empowering girls against gender violence (South America)
What projects are not eligible?
Projects not eligible for funding under the Direct Aid Program:
- Projects benefitting individuals or individual households, or commercial ventures
- Routine running costs and administrative expenses including office rental and utility costs, spare parts, routine maintenance and reports, or staff salaries
- Purchase or rental of property, land or vehicles
- Conferences, seminars or overseas travel
- Maintenance of cemeteries or memorials
- Issuing cash grants, cash prizes, grants program or micro-credit schemes.
How to Apply
- Download and complete the application form (either typed or neatly handwritten) or collect a form from the High Commission.
- Attach 2 independent quotes from suppliers.
- Attach reference letters to support applicant’s proposal.
- Interested applicants should submit their applications electronically or hand in a hard copy to the Australian High Commission at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://samoa.embassy.gov.au/apia/DAP.html