Deadline: 4 August 2017
The Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous Peoples, Inc. is seeking applications for its grant programme with an aim to support projects engaged in community empowerment and organizing endeavors, issue advocacy, cultural revitalization, strengthening Indigenous knowledge and practices, and Native leadership development.
The Seventh Generation Fund directs grant support to culturally-grounded Indigenous community organizing efforts initiated and led by the communities impacted.
- Art & Creativity: Enhancing tribal identity and cultural vitality through individual and collective creative expression and
- Health & Well-being: Achieving physical, mental, and spiritual wellness through traditional healing practices, cultural engagement, and food security.
- Leadership Development: Strengthening Native leadership strategies by building the skills and knowledge systems that fortify organizational and community-centered work.
- Rights of Mother Earth: Protecting Earth’s natural systems and ability to nurture and sustain life by supporting Native stewardship practices and traditional ecological knowledge.
- Sustainable Communities & Economies: Developing culturally-relevant and ecologically sustainable Native community assets.
- Peace, Equity & Justice: Securing harmony and parity for and within Native communities and nations and the right of self-determination.
Types of Grants
Grant awards range from $600 to $5,000 per year. An organization may apply for one grant per fiscal year for Native initiated and led community based projects for the following purposes:
- Up to $10,000:
- General Operating for ongoing operational costs
- Project Specific Support for special events or initiatives
- Capacity Building for staff training, purchasing of equipment or other organizational development needs
- Up to $3,000:
- Traveling Song Initiative supports travel for Indigenous Peoples’ participation in regional, national and international meetings, advocacy, skills building and decision making opportunities.
- Up to $500:
- Mini Grants Submit a grant Cover Sheet and a one to two page letter of request detailing your project, explaining how funds will be used and a budget.
- Leadership and Decision-making: A minimum of 80% Indigenous Board of Directors and also an Indigenous Executive Director
- Financials: Operating Budget of $150,000 per year or less
- Nonprofit Status: 501(c)(3) Nonprofit Status, Fiscal Sponsorship, or other tax-exempt status (if operating within the United States)
- The Seventh Generation Fund does not support: Individuals, Non-Native organizations, religious missionizing efforts, purchase of vehicles, heavy equipment, capital campaigns, or scholarship funds
How to Apply
Interested applicants must send a complete grant application package including the following:
- Cover Sheet
- Proposal Narrative (no more than 6 pages)
- 501c3 – IRS non-profit tax determination letter
- Financial Information: Operating Budget for current fiscal year
- List of other sources of funding – Indicate whether Pending or Approved and amounts
- Leadership information, i.e. list of Board of Directors, indicating Indigenous affiliations
- Staff and volunteer listing, indicating Indigenous affiliations
Eligible Country: United States
For more information, please visit Seventh Generation Fund for Indigenous Peoples.