- Low civic participation, disbelief in the ability to influence democratic process and lack of civic education.
- Insufficient public (including, public administration) awareness about the role of the civil society and the importance of strengthening it for the democratic development of the country.
- Absence of targeted policy of civil society’s development.
- Unstable and unfavourable legal and financial environment for civil society’s development.
- High level of intolerance to difference.
- Ethnic segregation rather than integration – national minorities are not included in civic activities.
- Civil society and civil society organization low capacity and insufficient expertise in long-term development.
- Underdevelopment of regional civil society organizations.
To overcome the identified challenges, the Active Citizens Fund in Latvia will support projects in three areas: ·
- Democracy, active citizenship, good governance and transparency;
- Human rights and equal treatment through combating any discrimination on the grounds of racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation or gender identity;
- Social justice and inclusion of vulnerable groups.
The call for Strategic projects is organized for two outcomes – DEMOCRATIC CULTURE and HUMAN RIGHTS and it focuses on the projects:
- which contains set of activities to ensure long-term positive impact on strengthening the democratic culture or human rights in Latvia;
- where applicant demonstrates strategic approach and ability to achieve these changes
- Total amount available for this call for proposals and projects is 2 940 000 EUR:
- Democratic culture: 2 625 000 EUR
- Human rights: 315 000 EUR
- The grant for one project is between 40 000 – 105 000 EUR.
- The project grant rate is up to 100%. The duration of project is between 24 and 44 months between 01.09.2020. and 30.04.2024.
- All applicants have to be civil society organizations (CSO) – association or foundation established in the Republic of Latvia, which aims to increase the wellbeing of society, by addressing either the problems identified by the society (or its groups) or by contributing to the achievement of national objectives and which meet the following requirements:
- it is independent of public administration, political parties, religious organizations or commercial organizations and their influence (including, such organizations or their official representatives are in minority (proportionally or by level of influence) among members or managing bodies);
- cannot be regarded, by their nature/activities/character, as a political party, religious organization, trade union, employers’ organization or cooperative;
- do not realize commercial interests or direct economic interests of its members or founders.
For more information, visit https://www.activecitizensfund.lv/images/articles/nolikumi/01_ACF_Latvia_Call_1_ENG.pdf