Deadline: 20 August 2016
The National Geographic Foundation is currently inviting applications for its World Legacy Award 2016 with an aim to support sustainable tourism, including environmental friendly operations, protection of natural and cultural heritage, and support for the well-being of local communities.
- Earth Changers: Recognizing cutting-edge leadership in environmentally friendly business practices and green technology, from renewable energy and water conservation to zero-waste systems and carbon emissions reduction
- Sense of Place: Recognizing excellence in enhancing cultural authenticity, including implementing vernacular architecture and design, support for the protection of historic monuments, archeological sites, indigenous heritage, and artistic traditions.
- Conserving the Natural World: Recognizing outstanding support for the preservation of nature, restoring natural habitat, protecting rare and endangered species, whether on land or in the oceans.
- Engaging Communities: Recognizing direct and tangible economic and social benefits that improve local livelihoods, including training and capacity building, fair wages and benefits, community development, health care, and education
- Destination Leadership: Recognizing destination stewardship, including cities, provinces, states, countries and regions that are demonstrating environmental best practices, protection for cultural and natural heritage, benefits to local people, and educating travelers on the principles of sustainable tourism.
Winners and finalists will receive coverage in National Geographic Traveler and other National Geographic print and digital media, reaching a global audience.
- Celebrating National Geographic’s mission of inspiring people to care about the planet, the World Legacy Awards honor today’s leading sustainable tourism destinations, organizations, and businesses, and share their stories with travelers around the world.
- The awards are unprecedented in their international visibility and promotion, reaching National Geographic’s global audience.
- Any travel and tourism company, organization or destination ranging from airlines to hotels, from cities to countries, and from luxury tour operators to adventure travel outfitters is eligible to apply for the awards in one of the five categories.
- Only one application may be submitted in one category during any given year.
How to Apply
- Applications should be submitted by email through the given website.
- Applications must be submitted in English.
For more information, please visit World Legacy Award 2016.