Deadline: 15 March 2017
The Sustainable Urbanisation Global Initiative (SUGI)/Food-Water-Energy Nexus is a call jointly established by the Belmont Forum and the Joint Programming Initiative Urban Europe in order to bring together actors to find innovative new solutions to the Food-Water-Energy Nexus challenge. The ultimate goal is to increase the access and the quality of life.
The call aims to develop more resilient, applied urban solutions that bring interand transdisciplinary research and innovation together from across the globe, to benefit a much wider range of stakeholders: i.e. researchers, cities, civil society and business. The rapid urbanization of the world’s population underscores the importance of this focus in order to create attractive, sustainable and economically viable urban areas.
The interactions between food, water and energy are of paramount interest to policy, science and the society at large, today and even more so in the upcoming decades. Challenges connected with population increase and food shortages, scarce water and insufficient energy resources demand solutions.
The overall challenge today is to move to action through dialogue: from a sector oriented technocratic approach to one that recognizes more diverse viewpoints and rationalities.
- Robust Knowledge, Indicators and Assessments
- Multi-level Governance and Management of the Food-Water-Energy Nexus
- Managing Potential Strategies and Solutions to address emerging Risk and Tradeoffs at the intersection of Sustainable Urbanisation and the Food-Water-Energy Nexus
- Each project proposal must be submitted by a project consortium consisting of at least three eligible applicants from at least three participating countries.
- The following categories involved in development of urban areas can join consortia:
- Citizens’ representatives
- Research organizations
- To be eligible for funding provided by the European Commission, the transnational project must involve at least two independent entities from two different EU member states or associated countries
- Call opening: 9 December 2016
- Pre-proposal deadline: 15 March 2017
- Invitations to submit full proposal: May 2017
- Funding decisions announced: December 2017
- Start of projects December: 2017-March 2018
- Projects end: January 2021
How to Apply
Applicants can download the proposal form given on the website.
Eligible Countries: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Chinese Taipei, Cyprus, France, Germany, Japan, Latvia, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Qatar, Romania, Slovenia, South Africa, Sweden, Turkey, United Kingdom, USA
For more information, please visit SUGI/Food-Water-Energy Nexus.