Deadline: 28 February 2020
The U.S. Embassy in Zambia is seeking applications for its Ambassador’s Special Self-Help program (SSH) to provide small-scale assistance directly to Zambian community-based organizations as part of an ongoing commitment by the U.S. government to support Zambian-driven development activities at the local level.
- Estimated Total Program Funding: $50,000
- Award Ceiling: $15,000
- Award Floor: $500
To be considered, applicants/projects must adhere to the following:
- Must be a registered community-based organization (individuals and for-profit businesses are not eligible).
- The proposed project should be a single activity that helps to improve basic economic or social conditions at the local level. Projects should be sustainable, long-lived, and benefit the greatest number of people possible.
- Projects should respect the environmental norms for small projects and not adversely affect protected or other sensitive environmental areas, threatened or endangered species and their habitat.
- Grantee community must be able to plan, execute, and maintain the proposed project with the U.S. Embassy providing financial support only. (They do not provide training or materials.)
- Substantial community participation is required during the project. Contributions may include labor, materials, equipment, land, buildings, or money.
- Applicant organization and project manager must be contactable and financially responsible. They must be able to manage and account for grant funds including ensuring that all required permits are in place prior to the project start date.
- Project must not replace or supplement activities normally supplied by the Zambian government, such as building government schools or clinics, supplies for a district hospital, etc.
- Funding is limited to one project, which, once started, must be completed within ten (10) months or less. Funding is on a one-time basis only.
- Successful applicants must have the ability to send one representative to Lusaka to attend the half-day grant signing ceremony and workshop.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted via email at the address given on the website.
Eligible Country: Zambia
For more information, please visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=317035