Deadline: 15 March 2020
The Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy South Africa of the U.S. Department of State announces an open competition for organizations to submit concept notes to carry out a training program in collaboration with the U.S. Department of State and Arizona State University. Funding will be made available from the U.S. Embassy in Pretoria.
The Academy for Women Entrepreneurs (AWE) is centered around the online training program on women’s entrepreneurship, DreamBuilder, developed through a partnership between Arizona State University’s Thunderbird School of Global Management and global copper mining company Freeport-McMoRan.
AWE participants will engage in facilitated lessons on business management and network with like-minded entrepreneurs and mentors from their regions and the United States. Led by an in-person course facilitator, participants will learn how to create business plans, hire staff, and research the market for their product or service. Participants will gather in person to view each DreamBuilder session (ten in total) and/or to discuss the topic after each participant views the session online.
(Ad) Stop getting irritated with excessing advertisements. View the information you want quickly on a clean, ad-free and exclusive Member Dashboard that offers tools to search for grants, view latest grant opportunities, upcoming deadlines, sample proposals, downloadable ebooks and also organize your favourites! Learn more.
Facilitators selected in collaboration with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will lead the in-person discussions and serve as mentors for the participants. The implementing partner will also be expected to organize a pre-launch training program for facilitators throughout South Africa, to occur in Johannesburg.
(Ad) Are you still finding it difficult to search for donors online? Join Premium and use our powerful Donor Search mechanism to find relevant donors based on your country and location or keyword. Our specially developed algorithm will search across the internet for the most relevant and useful donors of your interest willing to fund your work. Learn more.
- Promote prosperity and good governance.
(Ad) Not able to keep track of so may different grant opportunities and their deadlines? No problem! fundsforNGOs Premium has a handy tool called "Deadline Calendar." This tool will help you keep track of all upcoming grant opportunities and their deadlines and view them in a beautiful calendar format. Learn more.
- Provide a resource for women entrepreneurs to engage in online education with guided facilitation and localization;
- Foster networks that support participants’ access to peer-to-peer mentorship, business partners, and scaling opportunities with businesses in the region and in the United States;
- Provide access to a range of educational programs tailored to women’s economic empowerment to expand the effects of participation.
- Awards may range from a minimum of $24,000 to a maximum of $37,000
- Length of performance period: 12 – 18 months.
(Ad) Are you looking for readymade proposals? fundsforNGOs Premium has a vast collection of Sample Proposals from successful grantees around the world. These proposals are available for viewing so that you can quickly get new ideas, best practices, lessons learned and develop your proposal in the perfect manner. Learn more.
Project activities must take place in South Africa and be directed at South African audiences/participants.
- Specific locations where the project will be implemented are:
- Pretoria – American Corner Pretoria (25 participants);
- Soweto – Rosa Parks American Centre (25 participants);
- Bloemfontein – American Corner Mangaung (20 participants);
- Cape Town – American Corner Cape Town (20 participants);
- Durban – Venue to be identified by implementing partner (20 participants).
Participants and Audiences
(Ad) How to raise funds? Where can I find a list of donors for my area of work? How to write proposals? How can I submit a grant request to USAID, the European Commission or the Gates Foundation? How can I use Social Media to promote my work? We have developed powerful resources in the form of Ebook and Articles covering all this information and more. Learn more.
- Female participants;
- Ages 21 – 35;
- South African citizen or legal resident;
- Resident in urban, semi-urban, and semi-rural areas of Gauteng, Bloemfontein, Kwa-Zulu Natal and Western Cape;
- Aspiring entrepreneurs with a viable business idea, or who have already-existing businesses;
- Able to commit on average five hours per week to AWE;
- Basic computer skills;
- Fluent in English.
The following United States and South African organizations are eligible to apply:
- Not-for-profit organizations, including think tanks and civil society/nongovernmental organizations;
- Public and private non-profit educational institutions.
Each concept note will be evaluated and rated on the basis of the evaluation criteria outlined below.
- Organizational Capacity and Record on Previous Grants – 40 points: The organization has expertise in its stated field and has the internal controls in place to manage federal funds. This includes a financial management system and a bank account. The organization has capacity to execute the plan as conceptualized.
- Program Planning/Ability to Achieve Objectives – 30 points: The organization’s plan is consistent with the program’ goals and objectives; the program approach is likely to provide maximum impact in achieving the proposed results.
- Budget – 30 points: The budget estimate includes reasonable costs in relation to the proposed activities and anticipated results. The budget estimate is realistic, accounting for all necessary expenses to achieve proposed activities.
How to Apply
(Ad) Are you fed up of receiving non-relevant, non-useful and pointless funding alerts and updates in your email? Not anymore! With fundsforNGOs Premium, you can configure what type of funding updates you want to receive, select specific countries and areas of work and receive information only about them. Save your time by getting the most relevant and useful updates in your email. Learn more.
- Applications are accepted in English only. Final grant agreements will be concluded in English.
- All documents must be submitted in Word or Excel format by email at the address given on the website.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=324370