Deadline: 9 September 2019
UNESCO is seeking nominations for the Avicenna Prize for Ethics in Science 2019 in the field of advancing the “Ethics of Environment” with a special thematic focus on ethics of climate change and environmental sustainability.
The Prize-winner is also invited for a one-week academic visit to the Islamic Republic of Iran, during which he/she will deliver speeches in relevant academic gatherings, organized for this purpose by the Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Established in 2003 by the Executive Board of UNESCO at its 166th session on the initiative of the Islamic Republic of Iran, this Prize, awarded every two years, is intended to reward the activities of individuals and groups in the field of ethics in science.
By thus promoting ethical reflection on issues raised by advances in science and technology, it is expected to help significantly to increase international awareness and highlight the importance of ethics in science.
Its purpose is to reward activities in the field of ethics in science, including:
- High-quality ethical scholarly reflection and research on issues raised by recent scientific and technological advances;
- Major contributions to providing advice to policy-makers on ethical questions in research and development in order to establish and support science ethics policies and committees;
- Activities aimed at developing education and training regarding the ethical dimensions of science;
- Outstanding contributions to fostering science communication, public awareness and debate on the ethics of science and technology.
- The Prize consists of a gold medal of Avicenna along with a certificate, the sum of USD 50,000.
- UNESCO invites Members States in consultation with their National Commissions, non-governmental organizations in official partnership with UNESCO, various professional, academic and non-governmental organizations active in the field of ethics of science and technology, members of relevant UNESCO’s expert bodies and UNESCO’s partners, to propose candidates for the UNESCO Avicenna Prize for Ethics in Science 2019.
How to Apply
Applicants can apply via given website.
For further information, please visit https://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-seeks-nominations-avicenna-prize-ethics-science-2019