Deadline: 23 August 2019
UNESCO YouthMobile Seed-Grants is now seeking applications for supporting local organizations to implement Africa Code Week workshops. The project aims to empower girls with digital skills and equip teachers with coding knowledge to teach more students in the future.
UNESCO YouthMobile is joining forces with SAP to empower young Africans with coding and digital skills within the framework of Africa Code Week (ACW). To help build community capacity and empower more girls with digital skills in 2019, UNESCO, in cooperation with SAP ACW and non-profit partner the Camden Education Trust, will select local implementation partners and assign seed-grants (between 1,000 and 2,000 USD) to public institutions or registered non-profit organizations.
This will help the recipient organizations deliver hands-on coding workshops for girls (aged 8 -16) and/or Train-the-Trainer sessions for teachers and trainers (classes should be gender balanced) in their local communities during ACW 2019.
- Applicant must be a public institution or a registered non-profit organization based in one of the ACW 2019 participating countries.
- The proposed event(s) must take place in October during ACW 2019 (except for Train-the-trainer events that can also take place in September 2019.)
- Preference will be given to projects that also train teachers and trainers so they can in turn train students.
- Workshops that train students must target girls aged 8 to 16 who are new to coding; workshops that train the teachers and trainers must ensure gender balance.
- Applicants understand that no more than 30% of the funds received can be used for hardware acquisition. No funding should be used for software acquisition in line with UNESCO’s fostering of Free and Open Source Software.
- Applicants understand that they should report to UNESCO and Camden Education Trust their results achieved, which should include detailed, auditable participation figures (including disaggregated gender data where applicable) by November 15, 2019.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online via given website.
For more information, please visit https://africacodeweek.org/