UNICRI has announced a grant initiative on Sport and its Values as a Tool to Prevent Violent Extremism, within the framework of the United Nations Global Programme on Security of Major Sporting Events.
The call-for-proposal objective is to reinforce partnerships and cooperation with civil society organizations and non-State actors, with particular focus on youth-led organizations, while supporting them in delivering innovative projects, disseminating lessons learned and communicating best practices on how to make full use of the power of sport and its social values as a tool to prevent violent extremism.
The initiative is implemented under the leadership of the United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), in partnership with the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute (UNICRI), the United Nations Alliance of Civilizations (UNAOC) and the International Centre for Sport and Security (ICSS).
The main objectives of this Grants programme are:
- Strengthen the capacity of civil society and non-State actors (with particular focus on youth-led organizations) to deliver innovative actions aimed at using sports and its value to prevent radicalization and violent extremism;
- Support innovative projects in the field of sport for the prevention of violent extremism and disseminate lessons learned and good practices;
- Enhance the capacity of the international community to develop comprehensive strategies to integrate sports and its values as a tool to prevent violent extremism and radicalization.
Thematic Focus and Priority Issues
This Call for Proposals is addressed to not-for-profit organizations working in the area of sport, conflict prevention and mitigation, prevention of violent extremism, intercultural dialogue, peace building and inclusive societies. The main target groups and beneficiaries will be civil society organizations, women and youth-led organizations, sports, cultural and religious associations. Youth led organizations are strongly encouraged to apply. Grant funding under this Call for Proposals shall be provided to projects that contribute to the prevention of violent extremism through one or more of the following areas of intervention:
- Conflict prevention and mitigation through sport;
- Intercultural dialogue and peace building through sport;
- Strengthen social inclusion, education and employability of young people through sport.
- Proposals with budgets ranging from USD 30,000.00 to USD 60,000.00 will be considered for award.
Indicative activities that contribute to the following will be given priority, as long as they foster active participation in sport programmes, are implemented within sports programmes or make a clear use of sport and its values to:
- Strengthen the involvement and active participation of at-risk youth;
- Empower young girls;
- Use sport as a powerful equalizer for social inclusion, bringing people together from diverse cultures, religions and ethnicities;
- Strengthen resiliency of local communities to conflicts and violent extremism;
- Promote personal development by providing motivation, education and proper cognitive and socio-emotional skills;
- Develop and promote strategic communications and messaging.
In order to be eligible for a grant, applicants must:
- Be a non-profit making organization (CSOs including NGOs, CBOs) registered under the relevant Laws of the country where it is registered;
- Have been registered not less than two (2) years;
- Be directly responsible for the preparation and management of the project, i.e. not acting as an intermediary;
- Demonstrate prior experience of at least two years implementing activities in one of the areas mentioned above;
- Have a bank account.
For more information, visit http://unicri.it/News/Call-Grant-Sport-Values-Prevent-Violent-Extremism