Deadline: 24 February 2017
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is seeking expression of interest from the eligible organizations and companies for its Broad Agency Announcement (BAA) for “ASEAN Agribusiness Development” for research, innovation and collaboration in support of increasing access to finance for entrepreneurs and small- and medium-sized agribusinesses (SMAs) in the ASEAN region.
The goal of this project is to increase access to finance for SMAs operating across the ASEAN countries in which USAID works (including Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Burma, Philippines, and Vietnam). This Addendum is a competitive approach to consider ideas that advance the state-of-the-art, allowing USAID to reach out to potential partners with recognized expertise in relevant areas, and to co-create, co-design, co-invest, and collaborate with partners.
In this activity, USAID seeks to increase the productivity and profitability of such businesses across agricultural value chains in the region by
- increasing their access to debt finance and
- developing new agricultural technologies, business process improvements, and improving small trade infrastructure.
- Leveraging existing USAID tools for engaging with the private sector, including a partial credit guarantee by USAID’s Development Credit Authority and technical assistance to investors and SMAs;
- Strengthening market linkages to enterprises, lead firms and financial service providers in the region;
- Alignment with existing USAID programming in Southeast Asian market systems and the overall mission of Feed the Future (FTF), the U.S. government’s global hunger and food security initiative;
- A truly regional (not bilateral) ASEAN scope that includes at least 2 ASEAN nations in which USAID currently works (including Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Burma, Philippines, and Vietnam);
- An emphasis on supporting and capitalizing on regional connectivity under the AEC;
- Partnerships and synergies with other private sector stakeholders, including investors, companies, and NGOs, as well as with other international development organizations;
- Creative solutions to fostering rural-urban linkages focused on inclusive economic growth.
- Partnership Expectations and Values
- Cost considerations/Co-financing
- Ability to Participate
- Diversity of Perspectives and Capabilities
How to Apply
Instruction for submitting Expression of Interest
- EOIs must indicate the research or development idea(s) that will deliver potential solutions to the Objective.
- Organizations are encouraged to collaborate with peer organizations that bring differing perspectives and/or comparative advantages.
- Organizations are also encouraged to think through innovative cost-sharing arrangements.
- USAID is supportive of approaches that value collaboration as a component of the co-creation and co-resourcing process.
- EOIs must be submitted in English.
- USAID will accept up to two EOIs from a single organization.
Eligible Countries: Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Burma, Philippines, and Vietnam.
For more information, please visit ASEAN Agribusiness Development Program.