Deadline: 17 March 2020
The United States Agency for International Development’s (USAID) Mission in Egypt (USAID/Egypt) is seeking applications for a cooperative agreement from qualified entities to implement the Inter-Community Girls Empowerment activity.
The objective of this activity is to engage young women and girls from different social and cultural backgrounds in cross-community dialogue and to develop a shared community vision for girls’ empowerment. This program will enhance women and girls’ leadership skills in diverse communities. Through pairing participants from different backgrounds and communities in a mutually beneficial relationship, USAID/Egypt seeks to support emerging leaders to identify and mediate the underlying causes of disputes within their communities. The program will also focus on building the self-esteem, leadership, and consensus-building skills of participants and the broader community.
The Inter-Community Activity will promote cooperation between girls from different communities, including those with diverse traditional values. The program will support the ability of young participants to continue their education, increase confidence and expand influence within their communities. The development hypothesis of the proposed activity posits that if girls in communities can engage in cross-cultural and inter-community dialogue to develop a common vision, then consensus can be built to promote a stronger community that empowers both women and girls and provides them with equal opportunities that will lead to inclusive economic growth. To this end, the proposed program will provide a safe and secure venue for continuing education and discussion on vital issues for young women and girls that promote opportunities and inclusion. Concurrently, the activity will engage individuals from different communities and demographic groups to participate in exercises to identify, prioritize, and address community needs through community initiatives, participation in cultural events, or the establishment of joint micro-enterprises when and where specific opportunities are identified.
The program seeks:
- To provide a safe venue for education, discussions on vital issues of concern for girls and
- To identify Community Champions and engage individuals from all communities to participate in exercises to identify, prioritize, and address community needs through small-scale projects, joint cultural events, and/or microenterprises.
Working through local Community Development Associations (CDA) or other community-based trusted structures and in concert with local leaders, including religious leaders, USAID/Egypt seeks creative approaches to address the following three objectives:
- Objective 1 – Cultivate Community Champions
- Objective 2 – Improve Practical Life Skills for Self-Protection
- Objective 3 – Increase Inter-Community Cooperation
- Subject to funding availability and at the discretion of the Agency, USAID/Egypt intends to provide US$3 million in total USAID funding over a three-year period.
- The anticipated period of performance is three years. The estimated start date will be July 1, 2020.
Preliminary geographic focus is subject to change, but could include: Greater Cairo, Alexandria, Assuit, Beni Suef, Minya, and Qena. Activities in Minya and Assuit are strongly encouraged.
Eligibility for this NOFO is not restricted. USAID/Egypt welcomes applications from organizations that have not previously received financial assistance from USAID.
For more information, visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=323715