Deadline: 1 July 2019
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) is seeking applications for a cooperative agreement from qualified entities to implement the Generating Rural Opportunities by Working with Cooperatives (GROW-Coop) program.
This activity seeks to expand rural livelihood opportunities and boost rural households’ incomes and overall socio-economic well-being, by facilitating the evolution of large, successful local cooperatives into local resource organizations (LROs) that will provide in-depth mentoring and capacity development support, as well as support participation in value chains, to fledgling and struggling micro and small agriculture-oriented cooperatives.
The activity is part of the USAID/Philippines project “Economic Growth, Democracy and Governance with Equity” (EGDGE) Project which seeks to assist the Philippines to strengthen its path to self-reliance, improve democratic practices, and become a stable, middle-income country by 2040. Specifically, it supports the EGDGE Program’s goal of “economic development is made more inclusive” and the sub-objective of “environment for trade and investment is made more open and competitive.”
By focusing on agri-based cooperatives, and aiming to undertake work on value chains, the activity works on the nexus of USAID’s emphasis on enterprise-driven development, together with the Agency’s locally-led development mandate under Local Works, and the Journey to Self-Reliance.
The overall objective of the GROW-Coop activity is to expand rural livelihood opportunities of agri-based cooperative members and host community households. To achieve this, interventions will be directed to improve the organizational performance and operations of agri-based cooperatives and facilitate greater business opportunities and market linkages of cooperatives, through participation in value chains. The focus on the rural agricultural sector, where the bulk of the poor are located, is influenced by the Mission’s emphasis on promoting inclusive growth.
- Objective 1: Organizational performance of agri-based cooperatives strengthened
- Organizational capacity of cooperatives improved
- Cooperative regulatory and development environment strengthened
- Objective 2: Business opportunities of agri-based cooperatives increased
- Participation of agri-based cooperatives in value chains enhanced
- Enterprise partnerships of agri-based cooperatives expanded
- Subject to funding availability and at the discretion of the Agency, USAID intends to provide between $1.5 million to $1.8 million, over a two and a half year period of performance.
- The anticipated period of performance is two and a half years. The estimated start date will be on or about October 1, 2019.
- In compliance with Section 7080 of the U.S. Consolidated and Further Continuing Appropriations Act, 2015 (P.L. 113-235), eligibility for this award is restricted to local (Filipino), international and U.S.-based non-governmental organizations, educational institutions, and other small entities that have received less than a total of $5million in US Federal government funding over the previous five years.
- USAID welcomes applications from organizations that have not previously received financial assistance from USAID.
- Applicants must demonstrate knowledge of local registration requirements in the Philippines to legally operate in the country. Applicants are not required to be registered in the country at the time of application submission, however, the apparently successful applicant must address plans to ensure prompt country registration, including relevant tax exemptions that are granted to USAID implementing partners under the bilateral agreement with the country. The anticipated Project/Activity Office must be located in Metro Manila.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit their applications via email at the address given on the website.
For more information, please visit https://www.grants.gov/web/grants/view-opportunity.html?oppId=316413