The Gender Climate Award 2024 is now accepting applications! Join in celebrating the contributions of remarkable women in Climate Action, Young Climate Journalism, and Green Enterprise.
The Gender Climate Award seeks to shine light on women and recognize their contribution as equal partners in change. The dynamic women of Pakistan are working in diverse fields that range from civil society to academia and scientific enquiry to media and beyond. The purpose of this award is to give an opportunity to women for showcasing their contribution and sharing their achievements with a wider audience. The Gender Climate Award 2024 will support and promote climate actions by women with the intent of elevating their work and honoring their efforts. The award will serve as a step forward in raising the bar on ambition for women to stake ownership and optimize opportunity for advancement.
The country wide call for submissions for the Gender Climate Award 2024 will be open in the following categories:
- Climate Action:
- Sustainable Development Goal 13 (Climate Action) recognizes the urgency of climate crisis, calling for immediate and coordinated efforts to combat climate change and its devastating effects. As climate-related disasters escalate and vulnerabilities increase in Pakistan, the need for effective climate action becomes paramount. Women, with their unique perspectives and contributions, play a pivotal role in driving change and shaping a sustainable future.
- This category will acknowledge women who have made exceptional contributions to advancing climate action and sustainability aligned with gender equality. Women recognized in this category will be required to demonstrate leadership and commitment to initiatives that address climate-related challenges, reduction in greenhouse gas emissions, and enhancing resilience to climate impacts. Their efforts should serve as an inspiring example of how individuals can drive progress towards a more sustainable and climate-resilient world.
- Young Climate Journalism (open only for applications aged 35 or younger):
- Climate Journalism assumes paramount importance for a nation frequently battered by the adverse effects of climate change. In such a context, climate journalism becomes a crucial conduit for raising awareness and highlighting the often-underrepresented intersection of climate change and gender equality. By giving voice to women’s stories and experiences in confronting climate adversities, climate journalism not only empowers them but also fosters greater understanding and dialogue at the policymaking level.
- The award will promote and recognize exceptional climate journalism that adopts an innovative or original story telling approach, encouraging journalists to prioritize reporting on climate related issues. Print, online, video, and multi-platform storytelling formats are eligible. The submissions should address one or more topics relevant to climate change and its effects. The submitted piece must have been published in or on a Pakistan based media outlet. The submitted piece must have been published in the past 12 months.
- The submission will be evaluated on areas that include:
- Data: climate change reporting that relies on data analysis.
- Storytelling and solutions: Novel and solution-focused storytelling methods for communicating climate change stories.
- Visualization: Making climate stories more comprehensible and engaging for the audience by utilizing data and scientific information in visual representation.
- Investigative reporting: Reporting that holds those in power accountable for their actions and their impacts on climate change.
- Emerging talent: Innovative climate reporting produced by journalists and newsrooms.
- Green Enterprise:
- Women entrepreneurs and innovators in Pakistan face unique hurdles in accessing opportunities and resources, often exacerbated by gender-based inequalities. Hence, recognizing and celebrating their pioneering efforts in driving sustainable startups and initiatives is instrumental in several ways. In a nation facing the brunt of climate change impacts, encouraging green entrepreneurship is an avenue for addressing environmental challenges at the grassroots level. Green entrepreneurs serve as catalysts for positive change. This category is vital for women in Pakistan as it recognizes their pivotal role, inspires future environmental leaders, and catalyzes sustainable development in a country facing pressing ecological concerns.
- This category will celebrate outstanding efforts of women entrepreneurs and innovators at the forefront of green and eco-friendly ventures who are driving sustainable startups, small businesses, and initiatives with a positive impact on the environment, demonstrating innovative solutions for a more sustainable future. By honoring these women, the award aims to inspire others to pursue green entrepreneurship and contribute to environmental sustainability.
- The winners will receive a grant to assist them in furthering their initiatives and projects, fostering positive change, and amplifying their impact on gender-inclusive climate action.
Eligibility Criteria for the Gender Climate Award 2024
- Individual actors: All women working in the field of climate change as individuals, activists, or part of civil society/community-based organizations, academia, research, science, enterprise, media, advocacy are eligible to apply.
- Women-Led Organizations: Women-led organizations, including community-based groups, educational institutions, and social enterprises actively engaged in initiatives related to climate protection and gender equality, are encouraged to apply.
- Ongoing Initiatives: The awards will recognize ongoing initiatives or projects that have demonstrated a commitment to sustained impact and progress.
- Governmental Initiatives: Projects or initiatives led by local, provincial, or national governments are not eligible.
- Exclusion of Previous Winners: Winners of the Gender Climate Award 2023 are not eligible for consideration.
- Nationwide Eligibility: The Gender Climate Award 2024 are open to women from all state/regions and provinces across Pakistan, aiming to foster a diverse and inclusive representation of climate and gender initiatives nationwide. The applicants should have minimum experience of three years in area of work to be eligible.
For more information, visit Civil Society Coalition for Climate Change.