Deadline: 16 December 2016
The University of Pretoria in partnership with the Global Young Academy, funded by the Robert Bosch Stiftung, is seeking applications for its initiative “The Africa Science Leadership Programme (ASLP)” to serve early to mid-career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities.
The Programme aims to grow mid-career African academics in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face both Africa and the global community.
- Identifies early to mid-career academics who have demonstrated leadership potential and an interest in developing key leadership skills
- Supports them to apply the acquired skills to projects that are relevant to the academic development on the continent and its impact on society
- Creates a network of academic leaders on the continent, spanning not only across countries, but also across disciplinary boundaries
- Advances a curriculum for academic leadership development, which can be utilized in institutions in Africa and beyond.
- Core elements of collective leadership
- Creative and systems thinking
- Development of effective networks
- Stakeholder engagement for change
- Maximising the efficiency and impact of collaborative efforts
- Advanced dialogue and communication skills
- Effective problem solving and decision making
- A PhD degree or equivalent qualification
- A faculty or a continuing research position at a research institution
- Active in research and teaching at an African institution of higher education or research
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work for impact in society
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sectors (e.g. industry, government, etc.)
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks
How to Apply
Interested applicants should download the application form available on the website.
Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
For more information, please visit Africa Science Leadership Programme.