Deadline: 10 February 2020
Are you a girl or young woman with an idea for making change in your community? Are you a girl or young woman with a group or an initiative in your community that is organizing to achieve the change you envision? Are you an organization that runs a community-based initiative with programming by and for girls? If yes, then apply for a VIVA girl grant!
Funding Amount and Length
MADRE supports initiatives through grants (financial support) of $100 to $20,000 US dollars. They provide flexible financial support that can be used for general support and/or projects, to be used over a period of 12 months. At month 9, they will review progress with the grantees (successful applicants) to discuss possible project and funding renewal.
Eligibility Criteria and Funding Priorities
Eligible applicants must meet ALL of the following criteria to apply for a VIVA Girls Grant (Financial Support):
- Be a community-based group or individual that:
- Works with girls and young women (up to age 30) who identify as Afro-descendant, disabled, Indigenous and/or LGBTIQ, and those from communities confronting climate crisis, war, conflict, disaster and their aftermath.
- Is based in VIVA Girls geographic regions: Africa, Asia, Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Pacific.
- Is looking for financial support (a grant) for a community project that works to meet immediate needs and also creates solutions to community challenges.
- Has an annual operating budget under $100,000 US dollars.
- Plans to implement, or is currently implementing work that aims to:
- Build a Just Peace – preventing, surviving, and recovering from war, to create lasting peace.
- Advance Climate Justice – defending against climate crisis and advocating for just economic and environmental policies.
- End Gender Based Violence – confronting abuses and creating protections for women, girls, and LGBTIQ people.
In addition to meeting all of the above criteria, priority will be given to:
- Community-based groups or individuals that:
- Are led by people who identify as girls or young women (up to age 30).
- Are applying for grants (financial support) for the first or second time with little or no access to funding from larger donors.
VIVA Girls DOES NOT fund:
- Capital projects (long-term projects that involve building or purchasing a building, land, office, furniture, equipment, etc.);
- Scholarships, research, internships, school fees, fellowships;
- Groups or organizations that discriminate on the basis of age, religion, sex, race/ethnicity, disability, class or sexual orientation;
- Proposals submitted by government institutions, political organizations or religious groups (or groups that are structurally or financially dependent on these);
- Work based in regions that are not their geographic priorities outlined above.
For more information, visit https://www.madre.org/viva-girls-call-proposals