100+ Accelerator is seeking proposals for the Upcycling Challenge.
Using the millions of tons of co-product they produce each year, help them create nutritious foods, beverages and other products for all.
The current food supply and how we eat globally is not sustainable. There is a lot of research and development being done to explore alternative protein and food supply options. At 100+, they also believe they have a way to contribute to supplying nutritious, inexpensive and accessible food to the growing global population. Each year, their Partner companies produce millions of tons of co-product, which can be repurposed into other types of consumer products for a more circular global food supply. They also believe the co-products can be used beyond food as ingredients in cosmetics or pharmaceuticals, as well as packaging.
The 100+ Accelerator delivers 6 months of remote programming and training to accelerate the collaboration and growth of cohort companies in addition to a pilot/alliance with their partner companies. You will receive support from a global team champion, access to mentor networks and up to $100K toward pilot execution.
What They Offer
The 100+ Accelerator will provide support, guidance and access to potential funding through:
- Pilot customer opportunities with the four corporate partners: AB InBev, Unilever, Coca-Cola, and Colgate Palmolive (including the potential to scale company-wide)
- Active mentorship, training and programming in product development, go-to-market, operations, sales and more
- Top mentor network of scientists, academics, domain experts, venture capitalists, corporate sustainability leaders, etc.
- Potential funding from Partner Companies and their networks
- Processing technologies that turn the co-products into ingredients for various food applications.
- Processes and materials that incorporate co-products into e.g. sustainable packaging solutions.
- Find a second life to all of the co-products through products that generate value to the consumers, especially for: spent coffee and tea leaves, seeds, peels, pulp, dry/wet yeast and brewers’ grain.
- Biological/chemical process to extract valuable properties for skincare products, pharmaceutical products.
- Stabilizing the brewers’ grains which, if not treated, have a very limited lifetime of 4-6 hours.
- Solutions to make transportation economically viable, e.g. low-cost de-watering to reduce original moisture of 80% (brewers’ grain contains only 20%-40% dry matter).
- New foods and beverages derived from and linked to the co-products that enable healthier diets and address obesity and malnutrition.
- Anaerobic digestion for brewers’ grain (ideally with cogeneration).
- Renewable or Recycled Carbon, Non Fossil Fuel derived carbon ingredients, e.g. surfactants for cleaning products, CO2 for carbonation.
The 100+ Accelerator challenges were developed with input from subject matter experts and partner companies to ensure both global and local issues are addressed.
For more information, visit https://www.100accelerator.com/en/challenge/upcycling