Applications are now open for Pow Wow Pitch, a pitch competition for Indigenous entrepreneurs across Turtle Island to shine the spotlight on pow wow vendors, artists, business builders and innovators from all backgrounds and industries, whether just starting or looking to grow to the next level.
This year, more than 2,500 Indigenous entrepreneurs will pitch their businesses online and in person for a chance to win cash prizes ranging from $100 to $25,000, with a total of $200,000 in cash prizes to give away!
Your Pow Wow Pitch journey begins with a 1-Minute Pitch.
- Win Money – Win cash prizes from $500 to $25,000 CAD.
- Get Noticed – Gain exposure, followers, press and more customers to grow faster.
- Sell Stuff – Become eligible for the Pow Wow Pitch Box Program, where we buy and distribute up to 2,500 units of your products or services.
- Access Mentors & Learning – Get access to industry-leading mentors and experts, attend business accelerator bootcamps, and access free resources, templates and advisors.
- Start-Up Online Free – Get Shopify free for 60 days and a free .CA domain for your business.
- Friendships & Community For Life – Join a community of Indigenous innovators, makers, artists and builders cheering each other on and making a difference in their community.
Become An Alumni – Become eligible to join the Pow Wow Pitch Alumni Network to access the Alumni Network, Seed Fund, 0% Loan Program, and contribute to In-Community Impact Initiatives.
- Digital Pitch Prizes
- $5,000 – Winners
- $2,500 – 2ND Place Pitchers
- $1,000 – 3RD Place Pitchers
- $500 – Youth Prize & Fan Favourite
Gathering of Nations Live Event
- $1,000 – Winners
- $750 – 2nd Place Pitchers
- $500 – 3rd Place Pitchers
- $500 – Youth Prize Winners
- Indigenous people living anywhere on Turtle Island (Canada or the United States) of any age or gender with an idea or business at any stage and in any industry.
- You can submit an idea, business, nonprofit, social enterprise, sole proprietorship, cooperative or any other form of business activity.
- All semi-finalists will be paired with a mentor for a 1-hour session. During your session, you will present your 1-minute pitch to your mentor, and they will give you feedback to help you prepare for your pitch. Mentors are volunteers who are passionate about supporting you and your business to succeed.
- What to Include In Your 1 Minute Pitch
- Introduce yourself and where you are from.
- Tell them the name of your business and what you want to sell or already sell.
- Tell them how you would use $25,000 to take your idea or business to the next level.
- Bonus: Tell us why you want to do this? Who is part of your team? Your traction to date? Your vision for the future?
- Watch the 2021 Winning Pitch and 2nd Place Pitch for inspiration.
Criteria & Scoring
- Presentation: Have you clearly communicated your product/service, value proposition and a pathway to sustainability and success?
- Execution: Have you convinced the judges you will follow through on your business goals?
- Motivation: Have you clearly communicated how you will use the money to start or take that next step?
For more information, visit Pow Wow Pitch.