Deadline: 26 March 2019
Nominations are open for 2020 Martin Ennals Award that is an annual prize for human rights defenders.
The Martin Ennals Award is intended for human rights defenders (HRD) who are defending the rights of others, while at risk. This could include physical danger, repressive legal processes, or other forms of harassment.
The Award is named after Martin Ennals (1927-1991), an activist who was instrumental to the modern human rights movement and a driving force behind several organisations. His deep desire was to see more cooperation among NGOs.
The MEA is a unique collaboration among ten of the world’s leading human rights organizations to give protection to human rights defenders worldwide. The Jury is composed of the following NGOs:
- Amnesty International
- EWDE Germany
- Front Line Defenders
- Human Rights First
- Human Rights Watch
- International Commission of Jurists
- International Service for Human Rights
- World Organisation against Torture
- The HRD must be currently active. Please note, they will not consider posthumous nominations.
- The HRD must be demonstrably at risk.
- The HRD must work with non-violent means.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit 2020 Martin Ennals Award.