Deadline: 20 September 2019
Do you want to address energy poverty through social enterprise? Do you want to explore how the private sector can create positive social change? Do you need support to help launch and scale your enterprise? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then apply for the Development Entrepreneurship Lab (DELab).
Flame Tree Initiative (FTI) provides training, partnerships, and resources to promising Malawian entrepreneurs seeking to create enterprises that address local development challenges. In collaboration with Mzuzu University, they facilitate two-week, intensive Development Entrepreneur Labs (DELabs) where participants learn the basics of the DE concept.
DELab is the first part of intensive development entrepreneur training program:
- This program combines the most effective components from business support organizations around the world to create a comprehensive experience that will produce leaders in the off-grid energy sector.
- The DELab provides a dual-concentration on business acumen and social impact measurement to equip aspiring social entrepreneurs with the expertise and tools they need to make their enterprises both profitable and impactful.
The six-day DELab will cover the basics of development entrepreneurship customized to applicant’s goals and potential. Applicants will be connected with the tools, resources, and network to help succeed in launching a business with an eye for both financial success and measurable social impact. DELab support both for profit and self-financing, not-for-profit concepts.
- Six day workshop at Mzuzu University
- 11-16 November 2019
- 10-15 participants
- Facilitators made up of industry experts from the academic and private sectors
- Topics include:
- Social impact measurement
- Business planning
- Pitching your business
- Productive Use of Energy
- Mapping the off-grid energy ecosystem
- Participants will have the chance to meet with successful Malawian entrepreneurs to learn their stories and hear their advice.
- Applicants are creative; an innovator who isn’t afraid to think outside of the box
- Applicants are passionate about electrifying Malawi
- Applicants are a fast learner and excited about building new skills
- Applicants believe in collaboration and are a great team player
- Applicants may not be an engineer, but they are a critical thinker with keen problem solving skills
- Applicants must possess an idea for a social enterprise focused on the off-grid energy sector.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have already started their business.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have technical knowledge in the off-grid energy sector.
- Teams/partnerships are encouraged to apply.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can submit their application online via the given website.
For more information, visit this link.