Deadline: 9 April 2017
The United Nations Climate Change secretariat has announced the call for applications for the 2017 Momentum for Change Awards to showcase action and ambition as national governments work toward implementing the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals. Winners will be celebrated at the UN Climate Change Conference in Bonn, Germany, in November.
Selected initiatives, called ‘Lighthouse Activities,’ shine a light on innovative, scalable and replicable examples of what people are doing to address climate change, in the hope of inspiring others to act. The winning activities will be recognized and celebrated during a series of special events in November at the UN Climate Change Conference in Bonn, Germany (COP 23).
The 2017 Momentum for Change Lighthouse Activities will recognize climate action that is already achieving real results in five categories:
- Women for Results: recognizing the critical leadership and participation of women in addressing climate change, implemented in collaboration with Masdar’s WiSER initiative.
- Financing for Climate Friendly Investment: recognizing successful financial innovations for adaptation and climate mitigation, implemented in partnership with the World Economic Forum Global Project on Climate Change.
- ICT Solutions: recognizing successful climate change activities in the field of information and communications technology. This focus area is implemented in partnership with the Global e-Sustainability Initiative.
- Planetary Health: recognizing novel solutions that balance the need for both human health and a healthy planet, implemented with support by The Rockefeller Foundation.
- Climate Neutral Now: recognizing efforts by individuals, companies and governments that are achieving real results in transitioning to climate neutrality, implemented with the secretariat’s Climate Neutral Now initiative.
- Engagement with policy makers
- Recognition by the UNFCCC secretariat;
- Attendance to UN Climate Change Conferences;
- Opportunities to present work to policy makers during the UN Climate Change Conferences.
- Public relations support
- Concentrated media engagement effort prior to and during the UN Climate Change Conferences, including placement of opinion pieces and earned media;
- On-going digital campaign, including social media, email marketing and promotion on UNFCCC website.
- Marketing support
- Promotional videos and podcasts;
- Dedicated webpage on the UNFCCC website;
- Publications such as annual reports and brochures;
- Graphic assets such as infographics and photography.
- Capacity building
- Professional media training during the United Nations Climate Change Conference.
Organizations, communities, cities, businesses, governments and others that are taking concrete action on climate change can apply to have their projects recognized as a 2017 Lighthouse Activity. In order to meet the basic eligibility criteria, the activity must:
- Address climate change mitigation or adaptation;
- Be already implemented, or in the course of implementation;
- Be scaleable and/or replicable with potential for long-term impact;
- Be innovative and/or demonstrate potential for long-term transformational change;
- Deliver verifiable social and environmental benefits;
- Not be registered or have intentions to register as a clean development mechanism (CDM) or joint implementation (JI) initiative in the next two years.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit 2017 Momentum for Change Awards.