Book Aid International provides access to books to people by working with UK publishers to supply brand new books to over 2,600 libraries across Africa.
Most of Book Aid International’s work takes place in sub-Saharan Africa, where it supports library services in 11 countries and it also has a small project in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. It supports libraries in cities, slums, rural areas, schools, colleges and universities, prisons, hospitals and refugee camps.
The applying organization must:
- Be in one of our current countries of operation.
- be a not-for-profit and/or state/publicly-funded organisation in one of the following sectors: public and community libraries; schools; training colleges; prisons; NGOs; higher education or medical institutions
- have a functioning library or an accessible area for the books, and an appropriately trained person responsible for them
- be able to collect the books from the distribution partner, and pay a small fee towards their costs
- be able to provide detailed feedback reports to the distribution partner
Information Required when requesting Books
When requesting books you need to provide full contact details, including postal address and country, and the following information:
- your organisation’s objectives, programmes and/or projects and target groups
- needs: the sort of books being requested, for example vocational materials, medical texts etc
- how the books will be used and who will use them
- where the books will be placed
- whether there are any libraries or resource centres nearby
As a FundsforNGOs Premium Member, you can download our full resource guide on ’Non-Financial Support for NGOs’ + get access to our donor database, sample proposals, training videos and dozens of other resource guides on fundraising, proposal writing and NGO management. Click here to sign up!