The term 40 chances literally means the 40 productive years of life. HG Buffett learned through his passion for farming that all farmers have 40 growing seasons – the 40 chances to improve productivity. This implies to all the people in any field/ sector. Each individual has 40 years to be productive and improve the life condition. The Foundation offers people around the globe take up a cause and make a difference through 40 Chances Seed Grants.
Howard G. Buffett set out to help the most vulnerable people on earth – nearly a billion individuals who lack basic food security. He has given himself a deadline: 40 years to put more than $3 billion to work on this challenge.
Programs of HG Buffett Foundation
- 40 Chances Challenges: For high school students who compete for innovation awards based on solutions they design to combat local food insecurity.
- National Agricultural Innovation Prize: For college and grad students who compete for over $200,000 in prizes for developing food system innovation for the agricultural sector.
- 40 Chances Fellows: For students and post grads between 18-40 years of age around the world.
- 40 Chances Seed Grants: For social entrepreneurs and nonprofits applied for small grants to scale their innovative solutions.
- Applicants can be social entrepreneurs or non-profits from anywhere in the world.
- Applications should be made for projects with long-term plan on food security.
- Application must offer solution to one of the most challenging problem with well formed timeline, budget and track to scale.
- Applicants must have demonstrated capability to achieve the program goals and targets within set time period.
- Project can be local, national or global.
For more information, visit http://www.40chances.com/programs/.