Deadline: June 2016
The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) invites civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar non-government organizations around the world to apply for its 2016 grant funding. NED yearly funds hundreds of projects of organizations that are working to advance democratic goals and strengthen democratic institutions.
The foundation provides more than 1000 grants per year to NGOs promoting democracy in more than 90 countries. Funding decisions are made on a quarterly basis by the NED Board of Directors. Grant amounts vary depending on the size and scope of the projects, but the average grant lasts 12 months and is around $50,000.
- Central & Eastern Europe
- Latin America & Caribbean
- Middle East & North Africa
- Promote and defend human rights and the rule of law
- Support freedom of information and independent media
- Strengthen democratic ideas and values
- Promote accountability and transparency
- Strengthen civil society organizations
- Strengthen democratic political processes and institutions
- Promote civic education
- Support democratic conflict resolution
- Promote freedom of association
- Strengthen a broad-based market economy
2016 Timeline for Applications (Deadlines)
- For Proposals with deadline January 15, 2016 board meeting will take place on March 29, 2016
- For Proposals with deadline April 1, 2016, board meeting will take place on June 10, 2016
- For Proposals with deadline June 17, 2016, board meeting will take place on September 9, 2016
- Applicants can be civic organizations, associations, independent media, and other similar nongovernment organizations.
- Applicant organizations should be working in diverse environments including newly established democracies, semi-authoritarian countries, highly repressive societies and countries undergoing democratic transitions.
- Individuals, governmental bodies, or state-supported institutions such as public universities are not eligible for the fund. Application Procedure
- Application can be made via online application system, email or regular mail to reach the application materials by the deadline.
- Complete application materials include – proposal cover sheet, proposal narrative, interim assessment, proposal budget and registration documents (if applicable).
- Non-registered organizations should clearly mention the reason behind it not being registered and the status of any pending applications for registration.
For more information about this grant, please visit Apply for NED Grants.