Deadline: 6 February 2017
Do you know an individual or group who are selflessly devoting their time to support people forced to flee their homes? If yes, then nominate someone today for UNHCR’s Nansen Refugee Award 2017. UN Refugee Agency is looking for the next unsung hero who supports displaced people.
The UN Refugee Agency’s (UNHCR) Nansen Refugee Award 2017 is bestowed to a person or group for outstanding work on behalf of the forcibly displaced. The Nansen Refugee Award, through its laureates, aims to showcase the values of perseverance and conviction in the face of adversity.
The award is named after Fridtjof Nansen, the Norwegian polar explorer and humanitarian who served as the first High Commissioner for Refugees for the League of Nations.
Nominees are considered by the Nansen Refugee Award Committee in the following light:
- The deed for which the person/ entity is nominated should take place outside the framework of normal professional duties and go beyond the call of duty;
- It should demonstrate courage;
- It should raise awareness for displaced peoples; and
- It should reflect the values of UNHCR.
- Any individual, group of people, or organization that has displayed extraordinary humanitarian work on behalf of refugees, displaced, or stateless peoples is eligible to be nominated.
- Former and current NRC staff or UNHCR staff, including United Nations Volunteers (UNVs) working for UNHCR offices, are ineligible.
- Self-nominations are strongly discouraged. The following are considered self-nominations:
- Individuals or organizations nominating themselves;
- The nomination of a current colleague and/or individual within the same organization; and
- In some cases, the nomination of an individual or organization coming from a person who has worked for/with the nominee in the past.
- Candidates may be individuals, groups or organizations. Every Nansen Refugee Award winner spends an extraordinary amount of time and effort to help the forcibly displaced:
- The winner’s work goes beyond the call of duty and outside of normal activities
- The winner’s work demonstrates courage – the winner might at times face personal risk for his/her/their work
- The winner’s work should have a direct positive impact on the lives of forcibly displaced or stateless people
- Is connected to a major displacement issue or situation
How to Apply
Applicants must fill the nomination form via given website.
For more information, Please visit UNHCR Nansen Refugee Award 2017.