Once the application package is being downloaded you can complete the application offline with patience and all your NGOs staff members focusing on specialized areas to be filled. Before entering information, please read the grant-making agency’s application instructions carefully.
- Save Frequently: As you will complete the application offline, it is important to save your progress frequently. Again, ensure that your Adobe software is compatible with Grants.gov or you will not be able to successfully submit it.
- File Size Limit: The total application submission size cannot exceed 200MB, and it is recommended to keep individual attachments under 100MB. It is up to you to make sure your submissions does not exceed these limits and failure to keep the file size below the limit will cause your application package to be rejected by Grants.gov.
- Submit Your Application Before the Deadline: A timely planned package is always beneficial. Applicants should submit their completed application package at least 24 to 48 hours prior to the closing date. Waiting till last date can cause you to miss the deadline due to issues like an internet outage, slow upload speed, or an incomplete application package and your application package will be rejected.
Working on Saved Application Package
Follow the steps below to complete an application package using Grants.gov.
- Open the saved application and you must cross-check once that the pre-entered information is for the grant opportunity for which you want to apply.
- Complete the application in its entirety before submitting it.
NOTE: Applications can be completed in their entirety offline; however, to submit an application you will need to connect to the Internet.
- While filling out the application package, save it frequently by clicking the Save button on the cover page of the application package.
- Click the Check Package for Errors button to ensure all of the required portions of the application package are complete. Address any errors that are identified before submitting.
- Click the Save & Submit button after completing the application package. The Save & Submit button will not be functional until the application is properly completed with no errors and saved.
NOTE: If you have any application-specific questions, contact the offering agency directly using the contact information provided on the application’s cover page.
How to Complete a Form
Grants.gov forms are predefined and contain required and optional fields. The applicant should complete the SF-424 form before any other form in the application package. The SF-424 form populates certain fields on additional forms within the package, so it will save your time and avoid technical issues to complete the SF-424 form first.
- Fill in all the required fields. The required fields are highlighted in yellow with a red border. Once completed, the required fields are displayed in white.
- Fill in applicable optional fields. The optional fields are displayed in white.
- Select any field to enter the necessary information.
- Use the Tab button on your keyboard to move from field to field.
Note: If you enter invalid or incomplete information in a required field, you will receive an error message upon leaving the field.
- Click the Save button (on the cover page) to save your entire application.