Once you have completed all the required documents and attached any required or optional documentation, be sure to use the Save button to save your package. Please note that you can only submit a complete application and may not send it in parts.
In order to submit an application, you need the following:
- Active Grants.gov username and password
- Active SAM registration (if registered as an organization).
- Complete the application with required or optional attachments requested from the grant-making agency
Once you have saved your application package, you can now register as an applicant and submit it.
How do I register?
To register as an applicant please and get a username and password, please:
- Obtain a DUNS number, which stands for Dun & Bradstreet.
- Register with SAM.SAM stands for System for Award Management, and registration is free. Please visit www.sam.gov
- Create a user name and password
- Authorize the AOR (Approved Organization Representative)
- Track whether the AOR is approved by the system
To learn more please click here: http://www.grants.gov/web/grants/applicants/organization-registration.html
How to Submit an Application Package
- Open the saved application from your computer or network and complete all required documents and attach all required documentation.
- Click the Save button on the cover page of the application package.
- Click the Check Package for Errors button to identify any errors in the application package. “Errors” refers to any issues that will prevent your application from successful submission; however, this does not check for spelling or accuracy.
- Correct all errors in the application. You may click the Check Package for Errors button at any time while completing the application to ensure that you have completed all required data fields. Repeat this process until all errors are corrected.
- Click the Save & Submit button and save the application. The Save & Submit button will become active after all errors have been resolved and the package has been saved.You are required to save the application at this point to begin the application submission process.
- Once you have saved the application using the Save & Submit button, a dialog box will appear and you will need to enter your Grants.gov username and password.
- Follow all the on-screen instructions to submit your application package. Once you complete and submit your application, you will see a confirmation screen explaining that your submission is being processed and a link will be provided to track your application.
- Retain the Grants.gov application tracking number that you receive in the application submission confirmation screen. This tracking number is also emailed to you upon submission.
Note: If the agency assigns an agency-specific tracking number, you may receive an email with a second tracking number from the agency that is offering the grant.
Check for Errors Button
The Check for Errors button searches your application for errors that prevent your application from being processed. If there are errors identified, clicking this button will direct you to the error in the current application. These issues may prevent the Save & Submit button from activating.
Common Errors that Prevent Submission or Cause Rejection
- All mandatory fields have not been completed
- Email field(s) is not formatted properly, (e.g., )
- Date field(s) is not formatted properly (e.g., mm/dd/yyyy)
- Save button was not clicked following completion of the application package, thus activating the Submit button.