Following are listed the various types of books and documents (bookkeeping) to be maintained by NGOs for proper and systematic accounting. The same list can be mentioned in the financial management policy as well:
Account Books and Documents to be maintained
- Cash Payment/Receipt Vouchers & Book
- Bank Payment/Receipt Vouchers & Book
- Summary/Daily Petty Cash Book
- Journal Vouchers and Journal
- General Ledger
- Fixed Assets Register
- Contract/Registration Documents
- Attendance Register
- Budget Copies of various grants
- Utilization Certificates
- FCRA and other relevant Registration papers
- Copies of Consultancy agreements
- Capital assets approvals
- File of original bills of assets purchased
- Copies of all Contracts and agreements.
- Stationery Register
- File containing Bank Mandate and authorized signatories.
- Quotation file for all purchases
- Advance Payment Register (Advance to third parties & Staff Advances)
- Check issue register
- Cancelled check register
- Donation receipt issue register
Receipts and Payment Account
This is like a summary of the cash and bank book and starts and ends with the cash and bank balances. It differs from the income and expenditure statement in that the income and expenditure statement does not show details of loans, sale of assets, recovery of staff advances, etc. At the end of every quarter a receipts and payments account is prepared.
Preparation of the Final Accounts
Final accounts include a balance sheet and income and expenditure account and a receipts and payments account would need to drawn up at the end of the year.