The Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs is inviting creative proposals for its 12th annual Ocean Awareness Contest, a platform for young people to learn about environmental issues through art-making and creative communication, explore their relationship to a changing world, and become advocates for positive change.
Theme: Climate Heroes in Action
The 2023 Ocean Awareness Contest – Climate Heroes in Action – encourages students to learn about both climate change and solutions to the climate crisis. The Contest wants to celebrate the work of countless everyday heroes fighting to make the world more habitable and just in the face of human-induced climate change. These heroes are leading with determination, resolve, and even joy to create a better world for us all.
Climate Heroes in Action Prompt
Research and choose an inspirational scientist, activist, artist, educator, or other hero who is working to solve climate change issues. Create a piece of art, writing, or media that highlights their efforts, organizations, and/or positive impacts. The Contest is familiar with the amazing work of environmental giants like Greta Thunberg and David Attenborough. The Contest challenges you to introduce the Bow Seat community to a Climate Hero whose work it may not know about yet – but should.
- Gain knowledge about climate change and its relationship to and impact on the ocean. Dive into Bow Seat’s Resource Studio to learn more about the issues; find artists and organizations taking action to protect the blue planet; and discover ways that you can get involved.
- Grow your skills in communication, critical thinking, creativity, and environmental advocacy. Use your artwork to raise awareness for critical environmental issues.
- Build your portfolio and make art in your preferred medium, or practice a new one! Add to your resume with a participation certificate.
- Showcase your talents worldwide. Through art exhibitions, publications, social media campaigns, and scholarships, Bow Seat uplifts diverse youth voices to advance dialogue and participation in ocean conservation and advocacy.
- Join Bow Seat’s global community of nearly 30,000 young people who care about the ocean, environmental justice, and climate action. Be inspired by the work of other young creators around the world.
- Be eligible for special opportunities, like the Future Blue Youth Council and the Fellowship Grant Program. Past program participants also serve as Bow Seat interns and Contest judges!
- Earn cash awards of up to $1,500!
Submissions are accepted in:
- Visual Art.
- Poetry & Spoken Word.
- Creative Writing.
- Performing Arts: Music & Dance.
- Interactive & Multimedia.
- Students ages 11-18 from around the world are invited to participate in the Ocean Awareness Contest. Enter the division based on your age at the time of entry:
- Junior Division: Age 11-14
- Senior Division: Age 15-18
- Students can participate as an individual or as a club, class, or group of any size. All students must provide the contact information for an Adult Sponsor (teacher, parent, mentor, etc.) Students who have started college or university are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
For more information, visit Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs.