Deadline: 9 November 2016
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and its funding partners in the Grand Challenges family of grant programs are inviting innovators to apply for its Grand Challenges Explorations., in order to foster early-stage discovery research to expand the pipeline of ideas for solving our greatest global health and development challenges.
(Ad) Still, finding it difficult to find new grants and donors to support your work? No way to easily search and identify upcoming funding opportunities? No idea how to raise funds? We have a solution for you. Our Premium Membership service answers all your questions. Learn more.
The goal of this call is to develop broadly applicable approaches that can be used to accelerate development of therapeutic interventions, rather than to support the development of specific interventions themselves.
Grand Challenges is a family of initiatives fostering innovation to solve key global health and development problems. Each initiative is an experiment in the use of challenges to focus innovation on making an impact. Individual challenges address some of the same problems, but from differing perspectives.
(Ad) Too many advertisements on this website? Get an ad-free and fully optimized website experience to find grants and donors of your interest. Premium Membership service offers a clean and user-friendly interface for you to raise funds successfully! Learn more.
Launched in 2008 with an initial $100 million commitment from the foundation, Grand Challenges Explorations grants have already been awarded to more than 1200 researchers in more than 65 countries. This call is soliciting new tools and technologies that have potential
- To overcome the technical barriers in working with Cryptosporidium that have historically hampered progress
- To improve our ability to develop and translate active compounds into effective therapies for treatment of pediatric cryptosporidiosis.
(Ad) Premium Membership offers unlimited search options to find your grants and donors. Search by country or thematic area of your work interest or even by keyword. View the number of open grants for your country. on a Google Map. Keep a watch on grant deadlines through a calendar. Learn more.
Awards of $100,000 USD are made in Phase I. Phase I awardees have one opportunity to apply for a follow-on Phase II award of up to $1,000,000 USD.
(Ad) Too many emails about grants, but too few leads? Join Premium and use our Specific Email Alerts feature where you can select your country/countries and thematic areas of work interest and receive grant information accordingly. Learn more.
- Development of novel moderate- to high-throughput screening approaches that target different life-stages of the parasite or that recapitulate aspects of the realistic in vivo environment of the parasite (e.g. gut-on-a-chip or other like technologies);
- New methods for the identification and validation of drug targets in Cryptosporidium,as well as methods for interrogating validated targets within the context of whole cell phenotypic assays (e.g. target-based reporter assays);
- Novel methods for genetic manipulation of the Cryptosporidium genome, particularly those that allow regulated gene expression;
- Systematic approaches to explore opportunities for host-directed therapies, based on a rational understanding of parasite metabolism and parasite/host interactions;
- Validation of small animal disease models that are more tractable than the calf or gnotobiotic piglet, but which model human infection and disease (particularly valuable if immunocompetent and/or supportive of C. hominis infection);
- Assessment of biomarkers with potential to monitor clinical drug efficacy, specifically with regard to parasite elimination;
- Pre-clinical in vitro, in vivo, or in silico models to assess the role of co-infection, the microbiome, and gut dysfunction on drug efficacy;
- Novel methods to establish PK/PD relationships for anti-cryptosporidial drugs in the context of gut location of pathogen infection and disease pathology.
- GCE is open to both foreign and domestic organizations, including non-profit organizations, for-profit companies, international organizations, government agencies and academic institutions.
- Upon registration, applicants must provide information about the tax status of their organization as different terms and conditions may apply. One should organization’s tax status with the appropriate person or group within organization such as grants or contracts department, finance, or office of sponsored research.
How to Apply
(Ad) Our Premium Donor Search feature works like a mini-search engine. As soon as you define the search criteria and click on search, it scans the internet for the best possible matches of donor agencies based according to your interest and presents a list that you need. Learn more.
Applicants must submit the downloadable application form, available on the website.
For more information, please visit Grand Challenges Explorations.
(Ad) Lots of grant opportunities but no idea how to write a proposal to apply for them? We have a huge collection of sample proposals available only for Premium Members. You can view these proposals and even request for download. Get ideas from other successful grantees and write your proposal quickly. Learn more.