Deadline: 1 December 2016
The International Center for Journalists (ICFJ) is inviting applicants from Asia, Africa and Latin America for its “Reporting Contest on Early Childhood Development” in order to provide them a chance to win a prestigious international study tour as part of a contest to recognize the best stories on early childhood development.
ICFJ will recognize in-depth, investigative or innovative reporting that has helped raise awareness on issues such as early nutrition, early child care, early education and their impact on a child’s future well-being and contributions to society.
Experts on early childhood development say that proper nutrition in the first 1,000 days of a child’s life has lasting impacts on his or her future.
- best report
- best visual storytelling
- best data-driven story
- Causes and solutions for malnutrition in children under 5
- The link between under-5 nutrition and learning ability
- Quality of health care and/or child care for young children
- The impact of child poverty and efforts to alleviate it
- Reproductive health and its impact on child development
- Latest neuroscience on early child development
- Power of play and cognitive development
- Importance of investing in the next generation
- The contest is open to journalists from Asia, Africa and Latin America. Entries must have been published or aired between June 1, 2016, and December 1, 2016, and may include feature articles: in-depth, investigative or explanatory stories, multimedia reports or documentaries.
- The contest is open to print, broadcast and online journalists employed by a media outlet as well as affiliated freelance journalists.
- Submitted work must have appeared in a media outlet based in one of the regions.
- Stories must be submitted in English. Works in any other languages must include an English translation.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit their applications online via given website.
- Asia: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei, Cambodia, China, Cyprus, Georgia, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
- Africa: Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cabo Verde, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Cote d’Ivorie, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
- Latin America: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Venezuela, Peru, Cuba, Ecuador, Bolivia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Uruguay, Guatemala, Nicargua, Honduras, El Salvador, Haiti.
For more information, please visit International Center for Journalists.