The Punocracy is seeking entries for the third edition of the Prize for Satire.
Punocracy is a community of young writers of satire in Nigeria to encourage free speech, promote critical thinking, and spread political consciousness.
The purpose of satire has been rightly stated as to strip off the veneer of comforting illusion and cosy half-truth, and their job, as I see it, is to put it back again!
The objective is to make satire a widely accepted and understood tool of socio-political commentary in the country and to kindle the fire of interest in the genre. In short, they are on a mission to improve satirical literacy and create a safe space for writers and lovers of satire.
- Grand prize: N50,000 and certificate.
- Consolation runner-up prizes: Books and certificates.
- Applicants should be Nigerians aged between 15 and 30 years as of November 2022.
- Only one entry is allowed per person.
- Also, the entry must:
- Be written in English and saved in a .doc format.
- Be anything between 300 and 1500 words.
- Not be plagiarised in part or in whole.
- Not be jointly authored or created.
- Not have been previously published.
- Most importantly, be satirical.
- Judges are looking for great works of satire, and by definition, this includes articles that creatively deploy wit, irony, sarcasm, and/or ridicule in criticising faults. Entries may take the shape of prose, drama, news, poetry, a speech, a bill, a letter, a manual, a prophecy, an essay, an advert, or even quasi-scriptural passages. Whatever works for you really. There are also no restrictions on topics.They, however, encourage that the selected topic is approached in a way that will make the work relevant for an extended period.
- Kindly note that by entering for this prize, you agree your article or artwork can be used by Punocracy and may be published in the public domain via electronic or printed media.
For more information, visit https://punocracy.com/prize/