The SDG Action Zone is the foremost collaborative space for engaging world leaders and emerging leaders to supercharge and accelerate solutions for the Sustainable Development Goals.
The SDG Action Zone at an inflection point for people and planet, one that is testing the very humanity, solidarity and progress on sustainable development. People everywhere are now demanding a better future for our world. While the current moment of global crises poses great risks, it also offers the opportunity for sweeping systemic changes. This is the opportunity for sweeping systemic changes, on the scale being demanded by so many people and required to reach the Sustainable Development Goals.
The SDG Action Zone will provide the space for deeper dives into what can and needs to be achieved, with a keen focus on how they get there through expanded mobilisation, collaboration, and tangible and accelerator solutions and actions.
Over the course of three days during the UN General Assembly on 22-24 September, the SDG Action Zone will convene leading thinkers, actors, creators, and activists through frank debate, challenging discussions, inspiring showcases and interactive exhibitions to drive the exponential change so needed for people and our planet.
A fully virtual SDG Action Zone has the power to create a more transparent, open, and inclusive UN General Assembly The programme will be crowd-sourced through a call for sessions, talks and creative content from people and key actors around the world.
A combination of live broadcasts and online sessions, the SDG Action Zone will provide space for deeper conversations, collaboration and experiences on three core areas for accelerating action on the Goals: People, Planet and Partnerships.
Within these areas a range of cross cutting and critical themes have been identified to frame substantive content, discussions and calls to action around:
- People: Healthy Society; Inequality & Equity; Inclusive Growth; Activism; Education; Gender; Creativity & Culture; Decent Jobs; Human Rights; Social Protection; and Leave No One Behind;
- Planet: Climate; Biodiversity; Nature; Oceans; and Food Systems; Sustainable production and Consumption; Sustainable Cities; Clean Energy;
- Partnerships: Financing for Development; Data; Philanthropy; Civil Society; Business; Multilateralism; Economies and Investment; Emerging Technologies; Accountability; Media; Humanitarian Action; Sustainable Peace.
These themes are not exhaustive and intersectional framing is encouraged.
The program will include big picture discussions, deep dive dialogues, interactive workshops, lightning talks, UN digests, performances and immersive experiences, in order to:
- Highlight scalable solutions to the world’s most pressing challenges
- Explore debates critical to a sustainable recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic and the related social and economic crises
- Elevate a diversity of leaders and voices from across regions, sectors and generations
- Spur collective action on the critical interventions needed for an equitable, just and sustainable future
- The SDG Action Zone will bring together traditional UN constituencies, but also people that have never attended UNGA.
- Speakers will be experts in their field, leading figures and effective activists. These voices represent a wide range of perspectives in society including diversity across sectors, geography, gender, race, religion, cultures and more. They will be inspirational leaders, national and local government representatives, young people, business, academia, multilateral organisations, civil society, activists, advocates, media, journalists, entrepreneurs, sports organisations, creatives, UN agencies, faith leaders, voluntary networks – movers, shakers, doers, connectors and multipliers!
- Everyone, Everywhere is invited to participate.
For more information, visit https://sdgactionzone.org/