Do you want to create change in your community and the world? Do you want to address challenges that affect you and the people around you? In partnership with the Ministry of Youth Affairs, UNDP Bahrain is pleased to announce the launch of the ninth edition of the Youth Leadership Programme (YLP9) for the year 2023!
The YLP9 is planned and implemented through a close collaboration of the YLP9 National Committee which consists of a team of representatives from UNDP Bahrain office, the Ministry of Youth and Sport Affairs, AIESEC Bahrain, Global Shapers Manama Hub, Injaz Bahrain, Youth Pioneer Society and YLP alumni. YLP sponsors; Abdulrahim Alkooheji Foundation continue their support in building youth’ capacity as agents of change in promoting sustainable development.
- Climate change has emerged as one of the most important factors exacerbating poverty and human insecurity in the Arab region. Young people are among the most vulnerable to these impacts but also hold the key to accelerating action towards greener economies that can tackle the challenges of climate change as well as existing economic and social challenges.
- Therefore, the YLP9 Theme will delve into Green Economy to empower the youth to achieve the sustainable green economy that consolidates the three sustainable development pillars (Social, Environment, and Economy).
- YLP9 will therefore drive national and regional discussions with youth on how to address challenges through social innovation and create sustainable and inclusive solutions.
- The YLP9 in Bahrain this year aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Strengthen capacity of youth as leaders for social impact.
- Develop youth’s creativity and prepare them for the future of work.
- Expand youth understanding of Green Economy, Sustainable Cities and Communities, Decent Work and Economic Growth, Innovation, and Climate Action and other related topic.
- Advance youth’s ability to create systemic solutions for the SDGs.
- Co-create a safe space and support system for youth in Bahrain.
- Enhance collaboration between YSOs, Government, and Youth.
- Foster a Global Changemaker mindset.
- The programme will focus on exploring innovative solutions to create a sustainable and thriving future of work for all people, while ensuring those solutions to be environmentally and socially sound across the communities.
- By joining the programme, participants will:
- Develop their leadership and social innovations skills.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the SDGs and how to contribute to their achievement.
- Understand Green Economy’s role in addressing current challenges and pathways to creating effective change.
- Understand impact of achieving a Green Economy on the achievement of the SDGs and enhance their awareness and knowledge of related topics and SDGs.
- Explore the importance of innovation in developing a sustainable future of work.
- Enhance their ability in tackling and presenting complex challenges systemically.
- Learn more about the different pathways they can take to achieve positive social change.
- Attain a range of networking opportunities among other youth, changemakers, and experts.
- Become a part of local and regional networks of like-minded peers that support their social impact journey, including local youth-serving and international development organizations.
- Gain a space where they can explore and collaborate on their brimming changemaker ideas.
- And play a role in the achievement of the global Sustainable Development Goals!
- After selecting successful applicants to join the YLP9 Experience, the programme will commence on the last week of April and continue until end of June. While participants join as individuals, halfway through the programme, participants will form teams that work together on identifying their challenge area and creating an innovative solution that contributes to the achievement of the SDGs in Bahrain and beyond.
- The programme will consist of a series of in-person workshops and hybrid working sessions for 9-10 weeks. At the end of the YLP9 Experience, the teams will then present their ideas to a judging panel at the SDGs Challenge final event. The winning teams will proceed to the Mentorship stage and will gain the opportunity to join the Youth Regional Forum!
Once the winning teams are selected, they are further supported to develop their capacity and mature their ideas in the Teams Mentorship stage. This will include:
- Mentoring with experts relevant to each team’s idea.
- Develop leadership and teamwork capacity.
- Enhance technical and storytelling skills.
- A chance of getting selected to join the Youth Regional Forum!
Joining the YLP9 programme is only a start to many possibilities ahead! Youth are at the forefront of creating positive development, and this is your opportunity to join the youth movement!
The following are the YLP9 participation criteria:
- Age between 18 – 35 years old
- Be proficient in both English and Arabic.
- Be a resident of Bahrain.
- Be highly motivated and interested in collaboration for social innovation.
- Have a passion to create positive change to address global challenges within the local context.
- Have the ability and willingness to participate actively throughout the programme.
- All experience levels are welcome to apply.
For more information, visit United Nations Development Programme.