Recognizing the importance of capacity and transformative leadership building in increasing women’s democratic participation and political power APWLD has been carrying out its Gender & Politics (G&P) trainings since 2006. The G&P training is designed for women engaging in multiple forms and levels of politics and leadership in expanding their engagement in democratic processes, challenge gendered political structures, lead women’s initiatives and engage with broader peoples’ movements and influence development agendas at local, national, regional and international levels.
The overall objective of the G&P training is to strengthen women’s transformative leadership to generate systemic change and advance participatory democracy, women’s human rights and Development Justice.
The specific objectives of the G&P training are:
- To equip women leaders with knowledge and critical analysis on politics, political systems and barriers to women’s democratic participation and political leadership;
- To share and exchange experiences among the women leaders on how to raise gender issues and advance feminist agendas within existing political institutions and democratic processes;
- To encourage women leaders to aspire for elected positions and advocate for women’s human rights and Development Justice;
- To foster networking and solidarity among women leaders in Asia and the Pacific.
The training will be held virtually during 7 February 2022 – 18 February 2022, and will include the following themes for capacity building and learnings:
- politics and political systems;
- gender, class and patriarchy;
- gender and feminist participatory budgeting;
- transformative leadership;
- international human right;
- laws and legislations;
- advocacy and lobbying including campaigning;
- movement building; and
- Development Justice as an alternative feminist vision.
- Women activists, leaders, aspiring to participate in political processes and other decision-making positions or to run for position.
- Women leaders working at the grassroots organizations promoting women’s transformative leadership at the community level.
- Joint applications together with a woman teammate (eg preparing for upcoming elections, working / training) are encouraged.
- Participants will be selected based on the following considerations:
- Balanced representation from countries across Asia and the Pacific region.
- Election schedules in Asia and the Pacific in the next couple of years.
- Limited group size of 14-16 participants.
- Selected participants must:
- Await the online training in its entirety.
- Respond to emails in a timely way regarding training preparations and participation.
- Produce a Personal Action Plan towards the end of the training.
- Commit to respond to periodic follow up from APWLD after the training.
- All applicants should submit a completed application form and send it along with their Curriculum Vitae.
- Recommendation letter from institution / organization / party that states the applicant’s experience in the area of women’s human rights and political participation and recommending entity’s commitment / work on women’s leadership, political participation and vision towards enlarging spaces for women’s participation at decision-making.
For more information, visit https://apwld.org/2022-gender-politics-training/