If you are a local political leader in Africa, Asia or Eastern Europe, a woman and most importantly, an agent of change – this programme is for you.
The 12-months training focuses on developing politicial leadership skills and is open only to women who hold an elected seat in a local government.
All parts of the training are based on equity, participation, transparency and accountability, and the goal is to strengthen democracy in the organisations taking part in the training, primarily by strengthening the politician herself, as well as capacitating women politicians in general to be good role models and to get a higher involvement of underrepresented groups in decision making bodies.
The programme aims to provide the following changes in the participant:
- Empower the participant with improved leadership skills
- Help the participant to fully utilize the power and influence of her position
- Strengthen her as a role model to encourage political participation among marginalized groups
- Give her access to a network of women in similar positions.
During the training, the participant will work on her change process and implement a strategy to make the local authority equitable, participatory, transparent and accountable.
- Valuable exchange of knowledge and experiences
- Extended regional and international networks
- Improved skills as a “change agent” in initiating and implementing instituational change
- Skills and abilities to communicate and advocate on issues of inclusive governance
- Two-day study-visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- Support to improve participation, equality, transparency and accountability in the local governance.
What ICLD will offer?
- Advanced training in communication, strategic planning and leadership
- Swedish mentorship including an individual two-day study visit in a Swedish municipality or region
- International exposure to different political experiences
- An opportunity for your municipality to help achieve the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- The training consists of three compulsory workshops, of which all three are full time scheduled trainings.
- Periods between workshops are homebased.
- The total duration of the programme is 12 months.
- The Inception workshop will be held in February 2022
- The Sweden Phase workshop will take place in June 2022
- The Final workshop will take place in December 2022
- Phase 1 Inception workshop (5 days including travels): The participants and the programme management develop a shared understanding of the content, structure, methodology and management of the programme. Topics addressed in this workshop, among others: teambuilding and networking, developing the change process, and introduction to the Sustainable Development Goals. The tuition during the inception workshop consists of group discussions and lectures with a combination of Swedish and/or international experts from the region.
- Phase 2 Sweden Phase workshop (2 weeks in Sweden including travels): Participants will meet in Sweden for a cultural exchange, advanced leadership training, introduction to Swedish women politicians/mentors and a two-day study visit to a Swedish municipality or region. Topics of study will include, among others: the Swedish model of governance, suppression techniques and countermeasures, and how to be a good role model. Tuition consists of interactive lectures and group discussions with Swedish and international experts combined with study excursions, group work and discussions.
- Phase 3 Final workshop (5 days including travels): The participants and the Swedish mentors meet in one of the participating countries. The goal of this workshop is to summarize and share the challenges, opportunities and
- lessons learned throughout the programme. The participants will present their Change Process results. The programme also includes study visits and lectures provided by the ICLD and relevant lecturers. This workshop marks the formal end of the programme.
- Only Selected women politicians (currently in office) in a local/regional government will be considered. The applicants are prioritized according to the following: Mayor, Deputy Mayor, Councilor. They at ICLD aim to create a group that includes both majority and opposition politicians, as well as a diversity of ages and experience. ICLD trainings are open to all that are eligible, irrespective of physical ability.
- Applicants representing municipalities included in ICLD’s Municipal Partnerships and/or interested in cooperating with Swedish Municipalities will have an advantage in the selection of participants.
- Candidates who have previously participated in an ICLD training programme financed by Sida cannot apply for this programme.
- The following countries are eligible for the programme: Albania, Botswana, Georgia, Indonesia, Kosovo, Moldova, Montenegro, Namibia, North Macedonia, Rwanda, Serbia, Tanzania, Turkey, Uganda, Ukraine, Vietnam, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- The training programme will be organised and conducted in English. Proficiency in English shall be indicated in the Application form.
- Considering the training programme consists of international travels and work away from home in a new environment, good health and ability to work without health restrictions is required. It is therefore recommended that candidates undergo a medical examination before filling in the Medical Statement in the Application form.
For more information, visit https://icld.se/en/international-programmes/the-programmes/itp-local-political-leaders-capacitating-women-in-politics/