The U.S. Embassy invites applications for the American English Training of Trainers (AETOT) program for the RN7 region.
AETOT will convene 25 English teachers from the RN7 region: Antsirabe, Ambositra, Fianarantsoa, Ambalavao, Ranomafana, Ihosy, Toliara (and cities in between) for a four-day workshop on modern teaching methods and the use of U.S. government-developed American English materials. The workshop will take place in Fianarantsoa May 17 – 20, 2023.
- The overall objective is to promote English language learning and best teaching practices especially based upon the use of the U.S. Government-developed American English resources, to the teacher trainers first, and then to the broader teaching community through re-echo workshops to be conducted in the participants’ own communities.
- The materials to be introduced to participants compile decades’ worth of best practices into high quality, well researched teaching materials that present modern teaching methodologies in practice and are intended for low-resource, non-native environments. American English teaching methodologies and materials encourage teachers to deploy student-centered, high interest, high engagement activities in their classrooms – activities and methodologies that have proven to improve student achievement.
- As part of the training, participants will develop plans, in teams of two or three, for teacher workshops they will conduct in their own school communities, employing American English methodologies and materials, as well as teaching techniques learned during the training. The participants will deliver these workshops to teachers in their respective areas. Workshops must be implemented within four months after the conclusion of the four-day workshop. Each team of participants will be eligible to receive micro-grants to conduct their workshop.
Follow-up program for participants:
- Four months later, the participants will assemble again, for a follow-up program where they will share the challenges, successes, and the best practices they encountered in executing their workshops. They will also evaluate this project’s effectiveness in improving the teaching experience and learning process of the students.
- This program will convene 25 teachers from the RN7 region (Toliara, Ihosy, Ranomafana, Fianarantsoa, Ambositra, Antsirabe…) but will take place in Fianarantsoa.
- AETOT promotes English language learning and best teaching practices based on U.S. government-developed American English resources, first to teacher-trainers, then to the broader teaching community through re-echo workshops conducted in the participants’ communities.
- Ideal candidates are:
- English language teachers/educators at all levels (primary, secondary, university)
- Eager to learn new teaching techniques/materials and apply them in the classroom.
- Capable of training other English teachers
- Available to attend and fully engage in all four days of the program.
- Important dates:
- Friday, May 5: Virtual pre-program session (orientation session)
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday May 17, 18, 19, 20, 2023: four-day workshop – training for the 25 selected participants (In-person: Fianarantsoa)
- Wednesday, June 7: Virtual Post-program session
- June 2023 – September 2023: participants will arrange re-echo workshops in their school communities.
- Late September 2023: Follow-up meeting – for evaluation and sharing.
For more information, visit AETOT.