- The goals of the WESSA Awards are as follows:
- To give appropriate, high level recognition to people, groups or institutions for advancing the cause of environmental conservation and/or education in South Africa in an exceptional and sustained manner.
- To provide an opportunity for WESSA to increase public awareness of local or national achievements in environmental conservation and/or education.
- WESSA Award for Individuals: This is WESSA’s premier award to an individual. The person nominated must be considered to have made an outstanding contribution to environmental conservation and/or education in South Africa over a sustained period of time and at a national level. “Outstanding contribution” in this context is understood to be a contribution over and what would normally be expected from their work.
- WESSA Award for Youth: Youth are increasingly taking on environmental issues and making them their life’s work. In the Youth Award category WESSA would like to acknowledge a young person, under the age of 35 years, who has committed themself to environmental conservation and/or education. This individual should be making an “outstanding contribution” that is having positive outcomes at a national level.
- WESSA Award for Corporates: This award is made to corporations or institutions for outstanding contributions to environmental conservation and/or education in South Africa over a sustained period of time and at a national level.
- WESSA Award for Groups: This award is made to anygroup of volunteers (e.g. community, educational, environmental) who have done outstanding work for the benefit of environmental conservation and/or education over a sustained period of time. Such contribution could be in their local area but should be of a national significance or be able to be replicated nationally.
- WESSA Award for Teacher of the Year: This awardcelebrates the unique contribution of teachers that are a part of the Ecoschools Programmeand honours their commitment to improving the quality of environmental education in the South African school curriculumand enriching the lives of their students.
- In general, the main criterion for all the WESSA Awards is as follows:
- “Any individual, corporate/organisation, community group, educational group, conservation or environmental group who have done outstanding and sustained work for the benefit of environmental conservation and/or education in South Africa.”
- The contribution can be made at a local level, but it should be deemed to be of national significance or be able to be replicated at a national level.
- In exceptional cases, the WESSA Awards Committee may consider submissions where the activity has not been on a sustained basis.
- WESSA staff are not eligible for the awards.
For more information, visit https://wessa.org.za/2022/09/20/call-for-nominations-2022-annual-awards/