The U.S. Embassy in Guatemala has launched a call for applications for the 2021 Global Undergraduate Exchange Program (Global UGRAD) to provide a diverse group of emerging student leaders with a scholarship for one semester of non-degree academic study at a U.S. college or university.
The Global UGRAD program,sponsored by the U.S Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), aims to recruit participants from underrepresented, non-elite backgrounds who have not had other opportunities to study in the United States. Successful applicants should expect an in-depth exposure to U.S. society, culture, and academic institutions, as well as opportunities to enhance their professional skills.
All participants will be enrolled in full-time, non-degree, undergraduate coursework chosen from the existing curriculum of their host institution. Participants will be required to take one three-credit U.S. studies course to enhance their understanding of the United States.
Participants will live in assigned campus housing facilities with American peers, and will be required to participate in 20 hours of community service. There will be a virtual arrival orientation as well as an in-person workshop at the closing of the program.
Applicants must fulfill all the following requirements:
- Guatemalan citizen currently living in Guatemala, with no dual U.S. citizenship.
- Currently studying at a university based in Guatemala.
- General point average (GPA) minimum of 85/100 in the Guatemalan system or in the top 15 percent of their class. This must be proven by university-provided documents.
- Scholarships will be granted only to students currently enrolled in full-time undergraduate programs who have completed at least one semester of study. Participants must have at least one semester or an equivalent term remaining to complete at their home institutions after returning from the Global UGRAD program.
- Applicants must demonstrate leadership potential through academic work, community involvement, and/or extracurricular activities.
- Applicants must have advanced English language skills. This will be tested. Preselected candidates must achieve a minimum TOEFL score of 45ibt.
For more information, visit https://gt.usembassy.gov/education-culture/global-ugrad/