Inaugurated in 1973, the year following the Japan Foundation’s establishment, the Japan Foundation Awards will have the 48th anniversary in 2021. The awards are presented to individuals or organizations that have significantly contributed to the promotion of international mutual understanding and friendship through their academic, artistic, or cultural activities and are expected to continue to do so. They look forward to receiving your nominations.
Eligible fields of activities
To be considered for selection, candidates must be thoroughly involved in the following fields of activities that represent the core activities of the Japan Foundation:
- Arts and Cultural Exchange: Individuals or organizations that have significantly contributed to international cultural exchange and the enhancement of mutual understanding between Japan and other countries through the introduction or promotion of Japanese arts and culture abroad, or creative activities such as joint research or coproduction projects.
- Japanese-Language Education Overseas: Individuals or organizations that have significantly contributed to the progress of Japanese language education and academia, the improvement of the international status of Japanese language as well as the enhancement of mutual understanding between Japan and other countries through remarkable commitment to Japanese language education and research as well as continued efforts to train and organize Japanese language teachers, or through translations, writings in Japanese or other activities strongly connected to the Japanese language.
- Japanese Studies and Intellectual Exchange: Individuals or organizations that have significantly contributed to foster better understanding of Japan through education and research and strengthen intellectual networks between Japan and foreign countries through original and authoritative accomplishments and the development of Japanese studies abroad.
- Candidates must be an individual person or an organization established inside or outside of Japan.
- Self-nominations, including nominations of an organization or head of an organization to which the nominator belongs, will not be considered.
For more information, visit https://www.jpf.go.jp/e/about/award/apply.html