The Contest’s objective is to encourage high school students in the Czech Republic to come up with a proposal, in the form of a short essay, for the theme: “Why is democracy important, and how can they strengthen it?” in the context of Summit for Democracy.
- The Contest is open to high school students in the Czech Republic, who are able to communicate in both English and Czech. Only the person who submits the essay will be considered as the Contest participant. To participate in the Contest, the participant must submit all the requested information, which will be strictly used only for the purpose of the Contest and will not be shared with third parties. The Contest is not open to employees and interns of the sponsor, nor it is open to family members of such employees and interns.
- After submission of the essay, the Contest participants may be publicly identified.
- The information about the Contest, including the selection process, announcement of the winner, and activities involving the winners will be communicated on social media platforms of the sponsor and may include Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Communication between the sponsor and participants will take place via email. Announcement of the competition winners may be communicated on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. However, none of these platforms are partners or sponsors of the Contest.
Submissions of essays – format
Essays must be submitted in doc, docx, or pdf format. Each submission should include the name of the contestant.
Rights and responsibilities
- The sponsor’s selection does not automatically mean endorsement of the ideas in the essays.
- The Contest and the sponsor will not support any activity violating intellectual property rights and therefore reserve the right to disqualify any submission in the Contest that violates these rules.
- Contest participants will retain all the rights to their work. At the same time, participants explicitly agree to sponsor’s use of any material related to the Contest (essay, photos, etc.).
- The sponsor reserves the right to check the authenticity of the submissions and remove anyone who violates the above-mentioned rules from the Contest.
- The sponsor reserves the right to change the awarded prize in case of outside circumstances prohibiting the execution of the program.
- The sponsor reserves the right to disqualify a person from the Contest if the sponsor deems the person violated the rules of the Contest, violated rules of an online platform involved in the promotion of the Contest, or otherwise acted in bad faith.
- The sponsor reserves the right to change the process of the Contest or cancel the Contest. Participants agree to protect the good name of the sponsor, their parent, subsidiary and affiliates, officials, directors, employees, trainees, and agents. In case of damaging their interests, the participants in the Contest will be responsible for all claims, damages, obligations, losses, liabilities, costs or debts; and expenses (including but not limited to legal fees) arising from
- breaches of these official Contest rules;
- infringement of a third party’s right, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, intellectual property, right to privacy, right of publication or other proprietary right in connection with the Contest; or
- any claim that the Contest entry has caused any harm to a third party, including financial loss. These compensation and protection obligations remain in force permanently even after the end of the Contest.
- The sponsor will take all precautions to protect Personally Identifiable Information of the participants in the Contest.
- The sponsor of the Contest does not accept any liability or liability for any damage or injury resulting from the participation of any user in the Contest or the attempt to participate in the Contest or the ability or inability to upload, download or otherwise obtain information related to the Contest.
- The sponsor of the Contest does not accept any responsibility or liability for technical problems or technical failures arising in connection with the operation of the Contest, including: hardware or software errors; defective computer, telephone, cable, satellite, network, electronic, wireless or internet connection or other problems with online communication; errors or limitations of any ISPs, servers, hosting providers or providers; distorted, disordered or erroneous data transmission; failure to send or receive e-mail transmissions; lost, delayed or withheld electronic mail transmissions; complete or partial inaccessibility of the Contest site for any reason; congestion of the internet network or Contest site; unauthorized human intervention or other interference with the course of the Contest, including but not limited to tampering, unauthorized access, theft, virus, software bugs and worms; or the destruction of any aspect of the Contest or the loss, miscalculation, misdirection, inaccessibility or unavailability of the e-mail account used in connection with the Contest.
- Use of the Contest website is at the user’s own risk. The sponsor of the Contest is not liable for personal injury, property damage or loss of any kind possibly suffered on the computer equipment because of participating in the Contest, using the Contest website or downloading information from the Contest website. By participating in the Contest, the competitor relieves the sponsor of the Contest of all claims arising directly or indirectly as a result of or in connection with the participation of the competitor in the Contest.
- Sponsor is not held liable for any delay in the Contest proceedings caused by external factors, such as weather, fire, strike, public health or other unforeseen circumstances.
For more information, visit https://cz.usembassy.gov/summit-for-democracy-essay-competition-for-students/