Deadline: 26 February 2019
Africa Opportunity Platform (AOP) has launched an investment call for proposals in renewable energy in Africa with an objective to enhance access to affordable clean sustainable energy across African cities and municipalities.
This project further aims to catalyze the involvement of private institutions and entrepreneurs in capacity building and resilience to climate change through collaborative schemes between AOP and local government authorities. Under this call, AOP is looking for profitable proposals to invest in and finance in partnership with local government authorities. Applicants must be able to demonstrate the sustainability and profitability of their proposals while at the same time justifying its affordability to the beneficiaries. As an investment call, AOP shall be the project owner of selected proposals and applicants must be willing to give AOP the right to execute their proposals if selected and to work as Project Facilitators for AOP in the course of executing the projects.
AOP is a multi-project platform established in 2018 designed to bridge the investment opportunity gap in Africa. It is one of Africa’s leading platforms committed to supporting small and large scale institutions across Africa. Specifically, it seeks to bring African businesses, startups, entrepreneurs and projects into a global marketplace allowing for project capital funding from investors all over the world.
AOP shall award cash prizes in the range of USD 1000-2000 upfront to successful applicants for designing their projects.
- African Entrepreneurs and Project developers are eligible to submit proposals endorsed by their local authorities for sustainable renewable energy.
- Youth-led institutions, Community Based Organizations, Council Development Officers and Common Initiative Groups can also submit proposals for renewable energy project within their municipalities.
- Researchers on sustainable energy with long-term strategies and special programs for their local community are also eligible to submit proposals.
- Applicants must be registered members on AOP platform to be eligible to apply to this call for proposals.
- Sustainable development and capacity building are core values to AOP, thus the following criteria among others will be utilized to evaluate proposals and select winners.
- A problem. Proposals should start with the identification of a renewable energy problem within applicant’s community they will like to solve. (Not more than 200 words)
- A solution. What is applicant’s proposed sustainable solution to the renewable energy problem. (Not more than 200 words)
- Pilot location & customer/beneficiary profile: where will you pilot the project? What are the specific needs of the people you wish to serve? (Not more than 150 words)
- Operational model: this is the majority of applicant’s proposal. Walk through each phase of their selected intervention’s journey, from initial development through the final stage when it reaches the end-beneficiaries. (Not more than 800 words)
- Who is participating in each step, and what is their incentive? (Not more than 200 words)
- Briefly explain the role of local government/authorities in the execution of this project and the likely challenges to be faced in the course of executing the project
- Team: briefly describe each person on applicant’s team, their responsibilities, and who will be full time and in-country. Organization charts are welcome.
- Vision to scale: if applicant’s pilot is successful, what is their immediate expansion plan as a project executor for AOP? (Not more than 150 words)
- What is their long term (5-10 years) expansion plan? (Not more than 200 words)
- A comprehensive budget clearly detailing costs and revenue projections at 6 months, 5 years and 10 years.
How to Apply
Proposals with necessary attachments (proof of educational background and authorizing documents of organization) in word or PDF files should be submitted via given website.
For more information, please visit Innovative Renewable Energy.