In this 2022 edition, the EMWWR has launched a Call for Action in which different Action Developers will be invited to submit Action proposals that mobilize youth (18 to 35 y.o.) in the prevention and treatment of textile waste in the Southern Mediterranean area, in line with the EU Sustainable & Circular Textiles Strategy.
The Euro-Med Weeks for Waste Reduction is a raising-awareness campaign on waste prevention in the Mediterranean region, highly inspired by the consolidated experience and results of the European Week for Waste Reduction (EWWR).
The campaign is led by 2 organisations with a solid network and expertise on circular economy and on the Mediterranean area, namely: the Association of Cities and Regions for sustainable resource management (ACR+) and MedWaves, the UNEP/MAP Regional Activity Centre for SCP.
The Thematic Focus of the 2022 edition will be Circular and Sustainable Textiles, in alignment with the EWWR thematic focus. This will contribute to highlight the strong impact this sector has on their planet but, mainly, to inspire actions that will bring more circularity into the textile sector.
The organisation of a Euro-Med Weeks for Waste Reduction contributes to the implementation of the several regional commitments under UNEP/MAP-Barcelona Convention, namely:
- The Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development (MSSD), including the Regional Action Plan on Sustainable Consumption and Production in the Mediterranean
- The UNEP/MAP Medium-term Strategy (MTS) for 2022-2027
- The set of the regional measures to support the development of green and circular businesses and strengthen the demand for more sustainable products in the Mediterranean approved by the Barcelona Convention Contracting Parties at their COP22 in December 2021. In particular, one of the transversal measures adopted (D1) is related to strengthening access to sustainable products and services/sustainable consumption.
- The aim of the 2022 edition is to:
- Recognize the work accomplished by public and private stakeholders and by civil society in the waste reduction and recovery field.
- Raise awareness on waste reduction, product reuse and repair, and material recycling strategies and active regional, national and local policies.
- Mobilize and encourage citizens (particularly youth from 18 to 35 y.o.) in the Southern Med area in conducting waste prevention and recovery actions.
- The Call for Actions is addressed to Action Developers legally established in Southern Mediterranean countries and that engage with youth (18 to 35 y.o.) in the implementation of waste prevention and treatment actions in the field of Textiles.
- The EMWWR Action proposals need to respond to one of the following categories:
- Reduce: Actions that involve youth in the implementation of actions that highlight the urgency of reducing of the amount of clothing they buy, on offering advice on how to avoid or reduce textile waste and/or on the environmental impact of the fashion industry in the Southern Med area.
- Reuse/Repair: Actions that involve youth in promoting the reuse of clothes instead of buying new ones and to remind the public that clothes can have a second life (repair); actions that promote delaying the purchase of new clothes by opting for repair and/or reuse.
- Recycle/Donate: Actions that involve youth in promoting the recycling of clothes that can no longer be used and on bringing textile waste to the appropriate recycling facility; and/or actions that promote the donation of clothing to charities/organizations.
- A total of 5 vouchers of 2.900 euros each will be awarded to 5 Action Developers (1 voucher per Action Developer) to be selected among the proposals submitted.
- The Call for Actions is directed and open to Action Developers, a term that refers to different actors with the capacity to implement and promote awareness-raising actions on waste reduction, product reuse and materials recycling within their territories.
- In this 2022 edition of the EMWWR, the Call for Actions will be open to Action Developers who are legally established and who respond exclusively to one of the following categories:
- NGO/Civil Society Organization
- Educational Establishment
- Public Entity
- Likewise, in this 2022 edition of the EMWWR, the Call for Actions will be directed and open to Action Developers that are legally based in one of the following Southern Mediterranean Countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia.
For more information, visit EWWR.